Latest version of a GREAT free software !

JPS

I've been using -from time to time- FASTSTONE (http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm), which is IMO one of the best FREE image viewer...

Lately, they updated it, and I noticed that -amongst an incredible number of options- they included the possibility to add WATERMARK signature !!!

You only need to create a signature on a transparent layer, save it in *.PNG for example, and from within the viewer, you can add this signature, move/resize it and give it a chosen percent of transparency !

Until now, I used a Photoshop action to do it, but I found that it's much faster to do it with Faststone !

Here's a quich and dirty example, with different sizes signature in it:

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Needless to say that I'm overwelmed by this ever-growing software !

Have a try, I'm sure you'll LOVE it !

:biggrin:
J-P.

NB. Please note that I haven't got any acquaintance with the software nor its designers !

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Another great feature of FastStone is that you can extend the canvas size and then write the filename into the extended area. So, as an example you could take a folder of photos, and convert it to a set of 1920*1080 images, with the name of each written at the bottom, all ready for showing on your HD TV. You can save the settings in a file and then run this in batch against all the images: Batch Image Convert/Advanced Options/Load CCF file.

To do the same in Photoshop is entirely possible, but it requires you to tailor and install a script as well as building an action that does some of the work and then calls the script.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
And another great feature is that if you download the Portable version, you can copy it to a memory stick with all your photos on it, plug it into any PC, for example when you are visiting somewhere, and run the program from the stick without having to install it.

And it's all free!

JPS

...and how about the "Border Effects" ? 15 seconds !

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

...not that is the best effect on this image, but it gives an idea of what can be done !

Cheers,
J-P.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Yep, I know it supports RAW (NEF), but I was asking if it can to an extract of the camera-created embedded jpg. (not just support NEF and convert to jpg).

Yes it can, but you need to change the settings.
Press F12 for settings, then under Batch Convert RAW files in: select Preview.

If you choose to convert RAW files instead, it is capable of picking up the White Balance assigned in the camera.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
A small bug. If you press F1 and the Help doesn't display, go to your FastStone folder, locate the file called FSViewerHelp.chm then right click, Properties, then press Unblock. This is Windows being TOO secure.

M

mayhem7

It's a great viewer, as it's free, but it doesn't come near ACDSee Pro..
Anyway, I like your comment about the rotten apple ;)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Photoshop ACR WB range doesn't go below 2,000 - which means that ACR doesn't read my custom WB used in my IR converted camera when shooting raw. I have to shoot .jpg....

NX2 will correctly read the raw WB setting from my IR converted camera.

So....can Faststone read a raw IR custom WB settings (i.e. very low WB settings...)?

Latest threads

Top Bottom