Latest Wedding Shoot

Discussion in 'People' started by greyflash, Oct 25, 2005.

1. I traveled to San Francisco Bay Area last week where I was back up photographer for a wedding. Here are a few shots from that shoot. All image taken with my D2H equipped with a 17-55mm lens. Comments and critique are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2005
  2. Not bad for old technology like a D2H.

I'm just kidding, of course.
    After 30,000 shots on my D2H I feel like it's a perfectly broken in pair of shoes that fit great and I still love it. It's a shame I don't use it more than I do.
    I still like the tonality and the WB inherent in its design.
    It has always been the most underrated and maligned piece of excellent equipment I own. Nikon did it right and caught hell from too many people, mostly non-owners.
    You have shown it here in its best light(dumb pun?).
    Very nice. You hit the exposure spot-on...tricky with white!

That third shot is just superb. I'd be astounded if she does not love your shots, particularly the third.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2005
  3. Thanks Vernon, the D2H will have to suffice for awhile.

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful bride! You captured her nicely, Gordon. The first shot is absolutely gorgeous! The second shot is lovely as well. I am sure they will be pleased with all of these...the last one in particular made me smile...I remember having that same joyful feeling on my wedding day!

5. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Greyflash,
    Once again you show your innate ability to capture beautiful moments in time. Very nicely done !

Regards

RFC

6. Thank you Leigh, I like the first shot as well. The people I took the images for have not seen them yet so whether they like them or not remains to be seen.

7. What a nice thing to say Robert, I appreciate it.

8. Gordon, these are superb. I may have been tempted to clone "out" over the bride's right shoulder in the second shot :biggrin: Really, a very very nice job.

9. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Nice work Gordon. I am sure the bride's parents will be pleased.

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Gordon, when it comes to shooting weddings with beautiful white dresses and black tuxedos...I think that I would rather go to the dentist because I am just plain chicken about blowing out highlights and ruining someone's very special day. You obviously have a much better grasp of how to get things done than I do. You make it look easy. Great exposures.....

11. Thomas, Scott and Frank,

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment.

Thomas - If I could figure out how to clone out the sign through her vail I would do it for sure. I played with it a little and it looked worse than the sign.

Frank - Nothing much worse to shoot that bright white dresses and black tuxedo's. I'm not sure that any of us have it figured out but we do the best that we can.

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Such nice moments caught....

You did great as the backup photographer. I'm sure the bride will love these fun photos.

Was this a family member?

13. Thanks Terri. No, this was not from my family, although I would claim the cute bride.

14. One question Gordon..................... as the back up photographer, if your shots are this good.................. how good were the main guy's????

Great shots and a beautiful couple. I hope they are blessed with a happy and long life together. :smile:

Graeme

15. Thanks for your comments Graeme. Actually this will sound a little egotistical but the brides parents hired some friend of their's to do the photography but the grooms parents hired me as a backup "to ensure that they got a few good pictures." I didn't colaborate with the other photographer and basically took shots of the grooms side of the family. Since I was in the Bay Area anyway it was not a difficult assignment. I only took about 30 shots. I have not seen what the other photographer came up with but watching what was taken and where they were posed I don't expect they will be all that great.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005
  16. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Great shots, Gordon

You should've been the main wedding shooter, not the backup!

17. Thanks John for the vote of confidence. I was happy with my role.

18. Gordon
    Great stuff I am shooting a informal wedding this evening I hope my shots turn out half this good.

19. Hi Mike, thanks for stopping by to see my wedding pictures. Good luck with your shoot this evening. You will do great and with the D2X I'm sure the images will be superb.

20. Hey Frank, I read about your fears in the above quote, with deserved praise to Gordon, and then I read the following in you signature...

Face your fears...Live your dreams!

So my advice to you is, buckle up and get over it! You'll never have more fun than as a wedding photographer... right, Gordon?

The way to start out is to do a wedding as a casual photographer. Then do a few as an assistant to the prime photographer. The do one with an experienced assistant. Then you'll be good to go. It isn't magic... it just a very learnable set of techniques.