1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Latin Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Cesar Rubio, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Cesar Rubio

Cesar Rubio

Aug 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Ok guys:

This is my first trying on sports photography.

One word....IT'S HARD!

I thought that weddings was hard work, but this SP is even more harder work!

Specially to get it right.

I used my D700 with a Tokina 300mm f2.8 Manual Focus Lens and a Nikon 1.4x TC (TC-14A).

So the total FL is 420mm...the exif reads 400mm because there is no 420mm in the D700 to enter the MF lens info.

Since I could not get to focus almost any picture at f2.8, I used f4 which with the TC is the equivalent to f5.6.

I was thinking that probably a D300 with the "inexpensive" 70-300mm at f5.6 could give me the same results without much work and missed shots opportunities.

What do you think?

Out of 165 pictures that I've seen so far in Light Room 2, these 16 could be "salable"...could be but I don't know for sure.

That is about 10% of the pictures!

With an AF zoom I think that probably i could get more...am I right?

Here are the pics:

Any comments would be appreciated,

Note:
    The colors are way off in my internet PC, In my Photoshop CS3 PC they were right on....probably the color profile difference, sorry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Cesar Rubio.
    Cambridge Wisconsin, USA.
    http://www.davidrubio3d.com/

2. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    Manual focus would be hard.

All of these appear to have a greenish cast, I am in the dark on my laptop but it seems pretty heavy on all of them.

3. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Definitely green cast on these, EXIF color space says unclaibrated. What color space did you upload? need sRGB for web....

4. Cesar Rubio

Cesar Rubio

Aug 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Yes I know sorry guys...I shoot in RGB and edit my pics in such Color Space in CS3.

Tonight I am testing a demo version of LR 2...I selected "auto" CC but they looked good in my other PC.

Any comments besides this error on my side?

Thanks,
    CR.

5. Cesar Rubio

Cesar Rubio

Aug 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I've been thinking that a f5.6 aperture will be a f8 in terms DOF in a DX body like the D300.

In order to have the same DOF at f5.6 as in the previous pictures, I need the same FF body like the D700.

Probably I will get the Sigma 150-500 6.3 lens for my D700.....

What do you guys think of that lens?

Also the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 for indoor soccer would be a good choice.

Both lenses have HMS, so the focusing speed will be comparable to the Nikon AF-S correct?

Thanks,

CR.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.