1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Laughing Falls

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by wings, Sep 12, 2008.

1. I would like some constructive criticism on this shot.

_DSC1752_DxO_raw.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Some of my thoughts on this shot:

1. The left side of the image is washed out. Part of this is due to the spray from the waterfall, but part of it is because I was using a polarizer, and it produced an uneven effect across the sky. Also, the only clouds are on the left side. I'm not sure how to compensate for this. Perhaps I should have taken the polarizer off, but I wanted to slow down the action as much as possible.

2. It's not easy to see now, but there were two flare spots on this image. One was in the sky, which was easy to correct, but the other was in the rock. However, I don't think it's obvious. Taking the image a bit earlier in the day would probably have helped (with the sun being at a lower angle), but that wasn't really an option.

3. I had to crop the image slightly as my stacked filters caused vignetting. I should have just zoomed in a tiny bit to maximize my resolution.

The particulars of this shot are: D80, Sigma 10-20mm, 10mm, f8.0, 1/3s, ISO 100, Singh Ray Mor-Slo ND, B+W Kaesemann MRC circular polarizer.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  2. there is no image to see
    either the link was wrong or your image is password-protected

3. Weird ... if I open up this thread on another computer, the image comes up perfectly fine.

The image showed up when I previewed my post, but after I posted, I could no longer see it.

I suspect the site that is hosting the image is acting up. I'll try to get it resolved ...

4. I am hoping the image shows up now. I've put it on Picasa.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Still not showing and the link listed in the image properties is not valid

6. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    I tend not to like the look of forested areas shot with very wide lenses; the trees all end up "leaning" toward the center, which, while eye-catching, is disconcerting.

The image leaves me wishing I could've seen more of the water cascading in the foreground. I think a portrait orientation might've worked better.

I generally like the shutter speed and the exposure. The water has nice texture and color.

7. Thanks! This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. While I may not necessarily agree, it's something to consider.

8. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I tend to agree with Leif's assessment. The perspective warp can, and should be, corrected. A portrait orientation works better for this type of shot where all of the lines are vertical. Color balance is often a problem with waterfalls shots, but it looks like you have it spot on:smile:

9. Ahh ... now that you have both mentioned it, the inward leaning trees are starting to annoy me too!

Ignorance is sometimes bliss ... but in this case, I'm glad for the feedback. Thanks. :) 

10. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Seyil,
    Just in case you're not familiar with perspective warp correction, check out this thread. Pay attention to the comments by Kap (Bandnuts) on the second page. [The procedure comes in handy with all kinds of xxxxxscape shots.]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. From the excellent suggestions I've gotten so far, here's another interpretation of the shot:

_DSC1752_web_raw.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(hopefully I have the picasa thing figured out now)

Normally, I like to use the golden ratio, but when I did it for this shot, I didn't like how much sky came up.

Of course, if I had changed the shot to contain more of the running water, then this wouldn't have been a problem. But not much I can do about that now. :) 

So anyways, it's in a more traditional 4:5 ratio.

I really liked the suggestion to fix the perspective. It's a much calmer picture, as opposed to the more in-your-face original perspective. There is a time and a place for that, but not in this shot.

Ugh ... I just noticed that the colour profile is wrong. The sky now looks slightly cyan. Anyways, I'll just leave it for now.

12. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    I like it.

13. nice shot
    i like that redo a lot

14. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Well done on the redo, Seyil

15. Thanks for the feedback everyone. This was a really helpful exercise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.