1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Lauretta

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by billtils, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Haven't posted here for a while, but here are a couple from a portrait shoot yesterday.

Lauretta_1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lauretta edit.jpg

Lauretta_portrait.jpg

2. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

The third one is my favorite of the set. I like the quirkiness of the shoot and the compositions.
    My bugaboo with portraits will always tend to be "are the eyes in focus?". And if not, I'll tend to not appreciate the photo as much. For a "portrait", I prefer eyes in sharp focus. The first photo doesn't seem to nail that, otherwise it's a nice photo. I even like the lighting and shadow in that first one. But the eyes...gotta get them sharp.

3. Thanks for looking and commenting Glenn, I agree with all you say.

If you look at the EXIF data you'll see that the first was shot with the 90mm Tamron, but the other two with the Nikkor 24-85, and therein lies a tale ...

I use(d)* the Tamron mainly as a macro lens and the routine is autofocus to get there or thereabouts then manually focus as I frame the shot. A 90mm lens is supposed to be good for portraits so I took it along and used single spot focus on the near eye. Now we know that "assume" makes an a-s-s** of U and me, and I assumed that the autofocus would be OK. It wasn't and I've now run both lenses* through AFT software - the Tamron is BAD. Since I don't use it for macros any more, it's going to go in PX for something.

The "*" is because I also took my Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 to the shoot and the images from it were the pick of the bunch technically but circumstances (two photographers, one model, somewhat cramped location) meant they were not all that good in regard to composition, which is why there are none of those here. Both Nikkors were spot on in the AFT calibration. The "**" is because something somewhere will not accept the three-letter word for a donkey.

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    For me, the skin texture seems too defined and not particularly flattering. I'd like to see a smoother, softer texture on her face and neck.

5. Karen

It looks like that because that's the look I wanted in that shot. I have a couple of dozen "glam" shots of her ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.