Lavender - backlit

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by viewfinder, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Had some fun with backlit lavender last weekend.

Diagonal composition probably not the best choice...
    [​IMG]
    Flash used : No
    Exposure time : 0.0025 s (1/400)
    Aperture : f/5.0
    Whitebalance : Auto (-2)
    Metering Mode : spot

Lavender needles/leaves. No movement in this one, just shallow DOF.
    [​IMG]
    Flash used : No
    Exposure time : 0.0040 s (1/250)
    Aperture : f/8.0
    Whitebalance : Auto (-2)
    Metering Mode : matrix

My apologies that these are pointing in the wrong direction (left), I could have cheated and flipped them...

Comments and critiques most welcome.

Regards,
    Jonathan

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Jonathan...I like it...I even like the diagonal direction they are leaning. The first one is really beautiful. Wish I could smell it!

3. Why not? Jonathan, these are very nice. The first one meets one of the "rules of composition" perfectly.

What's this about l-r vs r-l? It's the 2nd time I've heard mention of it.

4. Thanks Leigh. And yes, the smell was the fun part of the whole exercise, you'd have to be there to appreciate it... :wink:

Regards,
    Jonathan

5. Thanks Kevin.

I have had criticism previously about the 45 degree angled composition, from the purist perspective I was told. I have to say I am not a purist, nor a theorist, I just go with the flow and whatever looks right (not left :wink:) to me.

As for the l-r vs. r-l, it's one of those "look right" thing. If I could get the image to align to the right edge of the post, then the subject would be pointing into the page which makes it look more natural for the presentation. As it is the images are aligned more towards the left hand side of the page, thus pointing out of the page. (I did mention I am not a purist didn't I? or was it theorist? ... :?)

Regards,
    Jonathan