Lax Practice

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Tomerrifc, May 10, 2007.

1. Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2007
  2. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Nicely done Ty....I don't get this sport at all...Mainly because it is not around
    these parts. These look good man...Keep shootin and posting...

3. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Nice ones Ty...

I'm with Rod...there is no LAX in MS..that I know of. Then again, 20 years ago, we didn't play soccer, now it's one of the most popular HS sports in the state.

4. Hey Rod,

How you doin? Thanks so much. I know what you mean about not getting this sport. I thought the same thing too before I searched all of the local high schools here in the city. What I found was a few schools do indeed have lacrosse teams. The one closet to me has a 10-1 record this season. I hope to be able to get to shoot them this coming week. Thanks again for looking.

5. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Nicely done Ty. With the defenders, you should try to either wait for the stick to come forward or shoot horizontal. Also, it's not a lot of work if you just wait for the action. You'll never keep up. Pick a nice spot and just wait

6. Hey Jeff, thanks a lot. Perhaps lacrosse will catch on down there by you some day soon. It is s cool sport to shoot.

Hey Alex, thanks so much. And thanks a bunch for the advice. This was my first time ever shooting lax. I will definitely work on your advice next time out for sure.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Mister!!!! These are real nice. It sure looks like you fell into a nice shooting opportunity...good for you. This looks like a fun sport to shoot, you'll have to tell us all about it on Tuesday.

8. Hey Frank, thanks a bunch. I was on the way to see Tommy in the freshman presentation at LFA and stumbled upon these guys practicing. Hey there are actually a couple of lax games Tuesday evening if you guys want to switch gears. Let me know.

9. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Ty, .... hey man you did a great job..... can you see now why LAX is my favorite sport to shoot ?? Get back out there next weekend and get some more ... you doing GREAT

10. Wow, these are spot on, Ty! Great captures, awesome colors. Can't do it much better :smile:

11. Ty
    LAX here in NJ is huge tons of leagues and every H.S has both boys and girls sports.
    If you try to follow the action you will drive your self nuts. I usually sit either 20 yards in front of the net and shoot toward the net and get the defenders or get the offensive rush coming up the field. If you notice play at one end I will go behind the net and shot the offensive team setting up the play.
    If lighting is better at one ned remmebr they trade ends of the field at halftime.
    BTW
    You did very well. I takes a little different mindset to shoot LAX

12. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nice shots for the 1st time in #4 the guy with the ball's stick is way illegal pocket Way to deep
    your WB looks alittle off a real orange cast to these on my monitor
    as you learn the game you'll see things develope, Fastest game on grass

13. Hey Mike, thanks for the pointers. I hope to get up to this school tomorrow after running a few errands. Alex gave me the same advice about picking a spot and setting up and lust letting the action come to me. We'll see how it goes if I get a chance to shoot tomorrow.

14. Hi Mark, what I think you are seeing is the late evening sun that was behind me. I can totally see how it could possibly look orange on your monitor. Thanks for looking.

15. Tyrone,

Nice shots! Could you share which lens and the f-stop?

16. Hi Mike, these were all shot with the Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 and I want to say that they were all shot wide open which is how I usually shoot especially as late in the day it was that evening. Thanks so much for looking.

17. Tyrone,

Thanks for the info. I have been trying to figure out why I don't like my shots as well as yours and several other on this forum. One of the big differences seems to be the OOF backgrounds (besides talent, timing, experience,.... :) ). I have the 300 f4 and a 70-200 f2.8. Tomorrow I am going to experiment a bit shooting both wide open and then comparing the results. I have been shooting the 300 f4 at f4.5 most of the time on the theory that stopped down a bit will give sharper images. That may be so, but they are less pleasing to me. Of course, if I can convince my wife that my son can start college next year, I'll just pick up my own 300 f2.8 tomorrow!