Lax Rivalry

Why are people who live next to each other always the most ardent rivals? Well, here's a varsity match between our town and the next town over. Final score was 18 to 9 (us), but who's counting? :)

D700 with 70-200 VR1. Rain, lightening, thunder, and 2 hours of rain delays, including 30 minutes with 4 minutes left in the game...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Great IQ. I'm partial to 5 and 8.
I'm planning on shooting a couple of LAX matches Monday (first time) and am looking for any advice on shooting locations from you LAX shooters out there.

very nice Jeff...

@Mike, refs generally won't let you stand right behind the goal due to the speed of the ball. So I will stand to the keeper's left, along the baseline about 10 yards in from the corner, there's usually a line there. Or, I'll move up the sideline about 5 yards in front of the keeper. I typically shade towards the left because most shooters are right handed but will also try keeper's right esp for preferred lighting. See my current post...

Chris is right about those locations. Additionally you can try just even with the goalkeeper, and, if you have very long glass, you can catch the action at the other end of the field to capture your goalie stopping some shots... :)

I've found now that the action occurs so fast with our varsity that I miss most of the plays, and often only get a shot of the goalie taking the ball out of the net. Not that I'm asking the team to play slower, but lacrosse is so much faster than soccer and field hockey, and is more like ice hockey when it comes to shooting. Of course, with ice hockey you can get right next to the action behind the goal and still be safe. I stood behind the goal during warmup drills and nearly got drilled myself...

lovely work.

So I will stand to the keeper's left, along the baseline about 10 yards in from the corner, there's usually a line there. Or, I'll move up the sideline about 5 yards in front of the keeper....
sounds like exactly where i prefer to sit/stand to shoot Soccer, Hockey and Polocrosse.

Don't know the game, but I think I know what happened in no.2! Tells a story.
Is 6 and 7 legal? If so, I like the game more!
And though there's no ball or faces in 3, it's a great tangle, and tells another story.
Edit: maybe there is a ball in 3 in the top right, um, stick(?)

Thanks all! Russ, 6 and 7 are legal as long as the hit is below the shoulders. You can hit the opponent's stick with yours as long as you are aiming at the ball. You can't simply "slash" at the other player, especially if he doesn't have the ball. The closer the offense gets to the goal the more punishment they can expect...