Lazuli Bunting, Common Yellowthroat, Hummingbird

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Jul 17, 2017.

1. I am finally able to spend more time on my photography now that I am almost retired. I am now working one or two days a week as I transition to full retirement in two years. Seems like I have been busier than ever and am now just beginning to get into a routine. I hope to be much more active going forward in my postings. Anyway a few weeks ago we got word of a local place where there were some Lazuli Buntings. I had never seen one of these before so I was pretty excited to find them. Bill Dewey (retief) made the first trip and confirmed they were there so the next morning I had to go. The light was not great and boy are these birds hard to get in the open. This place turned out to be great for some other subjects as well. Louie already posted some of them. I will post a couple of the buntings and a close up of a Common Yellowthroat and a hummingbird feeding. Thanks much for looking and feel free to critique as well.

1. Male Lazuli Bunting. Here I used a little fill flash.
    p2399572465-5.

2. Another male bunting
    p2392681706-5.

3. Bunting singing away
    p2392681711-5.

4. Common Yellowthroat
    p2396844308-5.

5. Full frame Common Yellowthroat
    p2396844378-5.
    6. Hummingbird getting ready to feed.
    p2396844306-5.

7. Snack time
    p2392681665-5.

It was a lot of fun to see these subjects so close to home.

2. Nice series. You are well on your way to retirement. The first one is really special - bg, leaf, pose, exposure. The fill flash worked well.

3. Great set. I agree with Allan as the first shot is fantastic.

4. What a terrific set Jim, you captured some awesome poses of these birds, with #5 is just about perfect to me.

5. very nice variety, nice bright settings.......

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Outstanding set! #1, 5 and 6 are excellent! Great feather details considering the pleasing shallow DOF!

7. Awesome shooting. I barely get to see little birds like these, and you get to shoot them!
    Retirement is great. I'm busy doing whatever I, er, I mean, the wife wants me to do. Right now she's on a downsizing kick and we have been sorting through 40+ years of accumulated stuff. It's actually good to see it go. But I've got to make time for my camera. Been doing a lot of reading and a lot of cooking.

8. Thanks Allan. I don't often use my flash but it worked out pretty good in this situation and I am glad I had it.

9. Thanks much. That bunting was a first for me and I was lucky to get a few decent shots of it. Always a treat when you get to shoot something new.

10. Thanks Darrell, we are finally getting summer after one of our wettest springs ever.

11. Thanks so much Karen. While these were not my shots of the year they were fun to get and always nice to shoot different subjects. I must say I am not a small bird shooter and boy are they a challenge, they move fast and do not like to come out in the open. Hard to get all the critical parts to come together so anything decent is a real treat.

12. Thanks Nick. I am finding out just what you mean. I think I have been busier than ever with all the honey do lists. I will still work a little over the next two years so it will be an easier transition into full retirement.

13. Wonderful captures of these beautiful birds. The sharp focus on the subjects coupled with the shallow DOF really set these images off. Congratulations and well done.

14. Thanks much Gordon.

15. Another great series! #1 and #5 are my favorites. Jeff

16. rcooper

rcooper

Jan 12, 2008
    elba,al
    Ralph
    Love them all but there is something magic about number one.