LCD cover

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greg, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    B&H finally got in the replacement LCD covers for the D2*. I got one for the one I promptly lost and another for the next time.

JUst FYI as these were hard to find.

2. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Yep, I ordered two on Thursday and they are in route given no movement over the weekend. I posted a thread with a link to them at B&H on Friday. The thread was ignored for 12 hours so I deleted it. Good item to have as an extra set and they are hard to find.

They are now showing as out of stock at B&H (7:50 PM EST)

3. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    yup, I got the notice thursday night and ordered friday am. looks like a good thing I did. I looked all over the place and finally gave up and hit the notice button at B&H.

Sounds like I need to keep one on the camera and one in the Bag and re-order when I put the last one on.

4. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    We both should get them on Tuesday then. Were you looking for a better price before ordering at B&H? My original one came off last weekend but I found it in the grass about 10 feet away undamaged. I'm thinking it snagged on my photo vest somewhere. Something had to push in both releases since the cover just doesn't pop off like the Hoodmans do.

5. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    At the rate it was going I'd have paid double. looked all over the web for a replacement. Couldn't use the hoodman. To much Chimp'n.

I did the same thing with the Minolta 7D. Obviously something about how I carress the camera. good that you found the one you lost. If I couldn't find a replacement before this next weekend trip to Indy I was going to use the material that they sell for Pocket pc's and PDA's as protection for the stylus they use. should be a good backup in a pinch

6. You should consider the plastic protective covers
    for Palm Pilots. They work great, protect the LCD
    and you can't loose them.

Just a thought!

Robin

7. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    That is how I used to turn my computer on in the morning. Plus repeating the words, oh baby, oh baby. Didn't want to get into that habit with the cameras since they are used out in public. Sometimes I go over to Georgia. They probably have a law against it.

I'm not sure about the plastic stick on material. I've had devices with it and around here with the heat and humidity, they seem to peel off rather quick. The Coolwalker had one that lasted less than a month. But I think it was one of the cats licking it off that did it this time.

8. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

I use a D70 and on the LCD cover there is a little hole for a string. I took an old lens cover string from my Sony 717 (it has a nice loop and neck-strap connecting piece already on it) and looped it through the hole and onto my neck-strap. I haven't lost it yet. Unfortunatly on my secod D70 I couldn't find another lens-cover string and shortly after I lost my first LCD cover.

Look through old camera accessories to find one of these stringy things. They come with most SLR-like cam's that have a removable lens cover. If you can find one they are invaluable.....My friend just bought a Minolta "something" and he got the same string included.....but won't give me it ;(

Joel.

9. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    You know, I just did that. After all these years using dem cameras with the little LCD cover (never lost it), they really bothered me. With the plastic covers, it's much easier to see the screen in daylight, and cuts down on apparent bulk. My D2h screen actually looks sharper now, and I can acutally use it to check critical focus. Colors look better too. Wow, should have done this a long time ago.

Actually what prompted me, was I gave my daughter my T1 (she begged for it, and how can I resist). She promptly scratched the screen on a rock (no surprise), but she was pretty concerned about it, so I put the plastic thingy on it, and was amazed by how clear it still looked. I promptly added one to my T1, and after trying that for a few days, I added them to my DSLRs. I'm quite pleased with the results!

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    5 yrs no LCD scratches w/o cover

I'm sure I'll get 1 now that I said that, but, I just can't get myself to use one, 'cause they fog up. Don't use UV filters either! Guess I just like to live dangerously! :shock:

11. I think I'll do the same for my D70 -- finally lost my beat-up LCD cover a couple weeks back after having the camera for over a year. I tried buying a replacement at J&R, and the guy suggested doing what you said (and that many people apparently do just that also).

_Man_