LDS Temple, St. George, UT

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by greyflash, Sep 22, 2005.

1. This image of the LDS Temple was taken from the top of the Dixie College stadium in the early morning. Because of the trees in the foreground and hillside in the distance it looks isolated when in fact it sits in the center of the City.

Attached Files:

2. This is a very interestings shot and you have done really well keeping the white from blowing out. Pretty sure i could not have shot this without blowing the highlights, can you let me in on the secret how you do it?

3. Thanks Andreas. I used center weighted metering and then checked my histogram and adjusted accordingly. One thing about this type of shot is the building is not going anywhere so you can shoot more than one image. If you are just metering off of the building you will probably have to use +1.3 EV adjustment.

4. Gordon;

Wonderful capture of that beautiful building. As many times as I've seen it, that's a new angle for me. Thanks for sharing it.

5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Interesting shot

It is unusual to see a shot of an LDS temple looking down on it. Usually they are shot looking up toward the top of the spire. It's neat to see a new perspective. The white temple certainly shows up against the brown background.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really beautiful image Gordon.

Like that composition alot.

7. You're right. This almost looks like a miniature building. Tricky exposure, right?
    cheers

8. Brian, Terri, Gale and Harry,

Thanks so much for your comments. I really want to shoot this temple so that the red rock hills on the North West of the building are in the background but there is no vantage point that I have been able to find that will do the job. I may go back in the evening and shoot this same shot after the lights on the temple are turned on.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I recognize this building from a night shot Chad Gladstone published a couple months ago. In this light, it presents a completely different face. It looks quite regal standing in a western valley like that.

Quite a contrast from the temple you showed from the wedding in San Diego! Keep this series going. I've found some of the most unusual church architecture in Mormon temples. There's one in Mesa that is large and impressive as well, but another just down the street from me that is very unassuming.

-------------
    I've one nit abut the image if you don't mind. In the upper part of the picture, where the steeple is placed against the mountain, it looks too contrasty - maybe oversharpened on the darken side. Have you tried 'Smart Sharpen' which lets you control the amount of lightening vs darkening done to sharpened images? Or regular USM on two layers for a similar effect.

10. Good feedback Chris. I will take a look at the sharpening. The St. George temple is the oldest working temple owned by the LDS church where the San Diego temple is one of the newer ones. The "unassuming" building just down the street from you is more than likely a meeting house or chapel. All of the temples are fairly large and it would be difficult not to notice them because of their architecture. The chapels are weekly meeting houses for the local congregations where temples are reserved for more sacred work by members holding a temple recommend. There are approximately 120 temples worldwide where chapels number in the thousands. I hope this clears up some misconceptions. :smile:

11. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Interesting shot. It looks almost surreal the way the building shoots up in the in the landscape.

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gordon :

Have fun with that one. The white marble used in many of the temples makes for interesting night shooting and exposures. I had to play around a fair bit when I shot the temple in SLC this winter. Took me two evening visits to the Temple Square to land anywhere near the shot I wanted. And it was February, so it was just a touch brisk.

I tried the same with the Bountiful temple with a grand red sunset and the Great Salt Lake behind it, and just didn't manage to nail the exposure as I wanted. Ah, well, next visit to SLC, I guess.

I'll look forward to your night time shots.

John P.

13. Torbin and John,

Thanks for your nice comments. I have taken some nice shots of this temple at night but it is so hard in the daytime because of the pure white exterior.

John, the Salt Lake City temple is a wonderful one to photograph. During my film days I captured an image of that temple that got me a cover of a magazine with an accompanying article. That temple is made out of granite so the exterior is more grey and not so bright. Much easier to photograph.

14. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Gordon,

I've seen that temple a dozen times and never even considered that anyone could isolate it like that. Wow!

When I first looked at it I thought you had done a PS manipulation and placed it between the trees and mountains. Where were you standing?

I can just barely see some buildings on the left through the trees.

15. Hi John, I was standing at the top of the football stadium at Dixie College when I took this image. As you probably recognize, there are a lot of houses between the stadium and the temple as well as houses and business' between the temple and the hill. The trees block them all off. The temple looks sort of small here but as you know having been here, the temple is the most prominent building in that area. I drove around for several days trying to find a place that would allow me to isolate it and this was the only place I could fine. I also took some images from the red rock hills on the north west side but the background was very busy with houses and other buildings and I did not like the way it looked.

16. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This picture is well captured, I like the combination and contrast of the three distinct colors.

Ben

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Gordon. A number of my friends and collegues are Mormon, yet I know surprisingly little about the workings of that church. This was new to me.