Le Bic, Qc - Canada (1)

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Elf_8, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Le Bic is a scenic village on the southern shore of the St. Lawrence river. A good part of the shore and river is a protected area within the provincial parks system. Hills and islands bump into the water - the sea actually since this is salt water moved by tides. Sunsets are spectacular and wildlife abundant. A week can be spent here in sheer photography nirvana. I've had a day and a half of it... and want to share some of it with you.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D70
    2005/06/10 19:41:43.9
    Compressed RAW (12-bit)
    Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
    Lens: 70-200mm F/2.8 D
    Focal Length: 112mm
    Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    1/500 sec - F/14
    Exposure Comp.: -0.3 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Optimize Image: Custom
    White Balance: Auto
    AF Mode: AF-S
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
    Tone Comp.: User-Defined Custom Curve
    Hue Adjustment: 0°
    Saturation: Enhanced
    Sharpening: Normal
    Image Comment:
    Long Exposure NR: Off

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70
    2005/06/10 20:07:39.8
    Compressed RAW (12-bit)
    Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
    Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G
    Focal Length: 18mm
    Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    1/30 sec - F/16
    Exposure Comp.: -0.3 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Optimize Image: Custom
    White Balance: Auto
    AF Mode: AF-S
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
    Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
    Tone Comp.: User-Defined Custom Curve
    Hue Adjustment: 0°
    Saturation: Enhanced
    Sharpening: Normal
    Image Comment:
    Long Exposure NR: Off

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Christian, I truly like the images that you posted. I think the lens flare in the first is rather interesting. I sure don't know much about PhotoShop techniques, but I was wondering if you are able to pull any highlights out of the cliff on the left in image #1? :roll: But the images are both very nice...thanks for sharing.

3. Thanks for commenting Frank. Sorry I was so late in coming back to you - I can't describe the busy week I've had. About #1, there is nothing to pull out from the dark cliff, except for the very faint reflections on the rocks, at the bottom, that create a sort of path. This has been somewhat lightened in PS. I wonder how a CMOS like the one in the D2X would have reacted in such hard conditions.

4. I really like the last one. Christian, what i do when i am taking picture against the sun is to carry a kodak grey card which i hold high above the lens to cut the direct light from reaching the lens, that way you don't have flare and your contrast is a lot better.

I forgot to mention that i always use a tripod.

5. Seems Gilles we work in the same conditions. As I work mostly on a tripod too, I usually use a free hand to create the shade. As for the flare in #1, I think two things are to be considered. First is the fact that this was a foggy day. Look at #2 that was taken minutes apart to notice. Second, I also tried to open up the shadows on the cliff, and some noise is coming out that may add to the impression. To make things worst I used a combination of a standard polarizer plus a Yellow/Blue one. In short : not the best angle and composition in the circumstances.

6. When I look at the first picture It gives me a great sense of peace. I feel like the day is done and it is time for total mental relaxation. Thanks for sharing.

7. Great shots Chirstian. The second one is my favourite. It gives me a taste for summer evasion. Thanks for sharing.