Le Tour de France 2007

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bob the Spiderman, Jul 26, 2007.

1. After years of following this magnificent race;after the latest debacle involving Rasmussen, Moreni and Vinokourov, I have now come to a point where I am at a crossroads of giving up on the event altogether, or saying that the cheats are now being found out and therefore it can only get better.

I know that Rich follows this race as avidly as I do, and would welcome his words of wisdom and thoughts on this matter.

BW. Bob F.

2. dsp921

dsp921

May 16, 2006
    Well I'm not Rich but...I used to follow this race from start to finish and would look forward to July every year. This is the first year I find myself not watching as much, and less and less as the race progresses. Now with this Rasmussen thing I'm about done. I'll let things play out and see if the Tour will recapture my interest after all this is sorted out. It's a shame really.

3. I too am very disappointed, I think the Discovery Team reaction and comments summed it up well....
    I think I'll just skip the coverage this weekend and go for a nice long ride on my own. sigh...

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Just for the record. Michael Rasmussen has not been tested positive. His problem is that he has not told about his whereabout for a part of June and got a warning. Later he told that he had been training in Mexico and had sent his whereabout by mail but too late. Late last night a Danish journalist interviewed a former Italian cyclist, Casani, and he told the Danish press that he had seen Rasmussen training in Italy in June. When his Dutch team Rabobanks director found out he withdrew Rasmussen from the race. So you might say that the Danish press slaughtered one of their own. First by mentioning Rasmussens warnings and next by interviewing the Italian commentator and former rider.

What Rasmussen's motives for his explanations are we can only guess. It is word against word but obviously Rabobank don't think they can trust him.
    Rasmussen has always been a loner and not a team player. That's why he has never been popular with teams he's been riding for or his teammates. He is a very nice guy who lives for his cycling. I feel sorry for him and his family. It was their life's dream that almost came true. But of course he must pay for his mistakes. I just hope that doping is not involved but of course this is the obvious conclusion. Anyway I think his career is in ruins.

Now the yellow jersey goes to one who was involved in the Spanish scandal last year.

5. My gut reaction when I first heard of it last night was that the team knew more than what was revealed in the news. Their action was, I suppose, damage control; doing something unpleasant now but better in the long run, when more comes out. Later this morning in the pre-race program the four sportscasters several of whom are former cyclists shed some light on this situation. Rasmussen has missed several out of race testing events and had been seen in the Dolomites in Italy instead of being with his wife in Mexico as he claimed. When you consider the importance, both in terms of fame and earnings of the Tour d'France and the availability of mobile phone world-wide, being incomunicado is inexcusable. One commentator surmised that the purpose of the high altitude training was the use of something called EPO, which when combined with this regimen after 10 days the drug cannot be detected.

I am not that knowledgeable about the sport however a close friend who is, had a lot to say. Having "le Equpe" as the biggest bike paper in Europe run the Tour presents at the very least an appearance of a conflict of interest. The Magazine Le Equipe regularly trashes riders they do not like except certain ones. One of the examples of such a conflict is the allegation by Lance Armstrong of a long-term vendetta by Le Equipe to tarnish his image. Lance has had the magazine retract and issue corrections many times and has sued it for Libel 2 twice and the magazine settled out of court.

Perhaps the teams and sponsors should start up there own cycling conference and have an independent agency run a similar race to the Tour d'France......The EURO Tour......and have them race in every country, and use different doping agencies.

Rich

6. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I don't follow this race year to year, so my perspective is of an outsider who casually hears about doping reports and concerns year to year. I'm of the opinion that these guys are bigger cheaters than the folks in NASCAR.

7. Hammster

Hammster

Apr 24, 2007
    San Diego, Ca.
    Huge cycling fan here. I'm of the camp that all of this going on at this year's TdF is a great indication of the direction the sport is going. Cheaters (or alleged cheaters) are out! In order for cycling to continue and do well, cycling's governing bodies must be proactive. All riders in this year's tour signed agreements that they were drug free and signed conduct agreements as well. Rasmussen is out because he lied about his whereabouts and has dodged some mandatory drug tests without giving true or accurate reasons as to why he missed them.
    This can only be good for cycling in the long run.
    I'm sort of glad to see that today's stage started with no yellow jersey wearer. And it's likely Contador will pull it on today, but I think he feels like he needs to earn it to wear it. Good for him.

8. And that is the whole point.

So he may not have been, but he lied and the inference that can be drawn from this, is that he was up to no good. People do not lie for fun when their career and reputation is at stake. They do it for a reason and generally that reason is because the person is involved in something of a dubious nature.

Wouls you and nor will anybody else.

All the more reason that he should not have done what he did! You will always get found out in the end.

David Duffield at British Europsort is putting a very positive spin on all this and saying that the cheats are getting found out and that this will all be all to the good of the sport. Hmmm!!
    Bob F.

Bob F.

9. I love cycling. This event and much of that sport are off my radar these days.

Time for them to belly up to the bar and go straight.

10. Doping in general

What truly amazes me about this, as well as Steroid use in Pro sports, drugs in the Olympics, etc., is that every one of these folks KNOW they are going to be tested, yet they continue. Now, the case of the Tour, there sure has been, and still is going on, a lot of allegations about how the testing itself is handled, but overall I just find it incredible that these days people think they can get away with it.

I mean, heck, I just read a report the other day where they are talking about testing Golfers of all things. I mean, if you can't trust a Pro Golfer, then who the heck CAN you trust ?????? :wink:

11. I too have followed this race since the days of LeMond 7/11 and Indurain Banesto and all I can say is that I will continue to follow it and I'm glad that the are policing it and coming down hard.
    Either PLAY BY THE RULES OR GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

12. It comes down to greed or, if you will, the love of money. One of the four TDF announcers here on Versus, the network showing it, introduced the first scandal by running off a litany of gaffs in a lot of major professional sports and included the use of steroids in golf (to get closer to the green--->fewer strokes--->more MONEY) and baseball.

These athletes literally survive on their athletic prowess. It translates to dollars to eat and pay bills..and in some cases to feed their ever increasing lust for acquiring "things" or flashy lifestyles. The problem is that most are like us..of normal intelligence..and will believe anything hucksters (who want to share in their success) promise them that will help them pay the bills and live the good life. The urge to cheat must be almost impossible to resist. Suppose you owned some rural land in downstate Virginia and were a famous professional athlete and someone asked you to "use" your land to "do something" with it. Do you expect me to believe you wouldn't ask what use he had in mind and say "ok" and express surprise when you were told this friend was using it for seriously illegal (it is in Virginia) dog fighting. Excuse me? Now tell me you're on the verge of possibly winning the most famous bike race in the world, and you coincidentally disappear when all the participants are aware that they must be available for testing? Oh please! With all that is at risk I'd put my mobile phone in a plastic bag and take it in the shower with me! These athletes are either incredibly stupid or naiive or they know exactly what they are doing. I'm inclined to believe the last.

Thanks, Rich

13. It was reported that a tube of someone else's urine was found in Rasmussen's things, so it may be a little deeper than just lying about his whereabouts. As a longtime follower of of the Le Tour de France I am saddened by all the things that are coming out. Go Levi.

14. I knew Tommy Simpson quite well!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: That dates me.

Bob F.

15. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    If you could pop a pill to create dramatically better photographs, would you?

16. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Yep, I am there too. My wife has done over 50 100 miles rides and I just like to ride. Its like all sports once it become proof, the money is so big that you get people who are willing to do anything. Too bad, it was a great sporting event. Have taken it of the "record series".....

17. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Not if it was illegal or against the rules.

18. genehsu

genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    Seattle
    If you could pop a pill to make you think your photographs are dramatically better, would you? :biggrin:

19. cgrab

cgrab

Jan 3, 2007
    France
    If you could pop a pill to make you think your photographs are dramatically better, would you?

I'm doing that. It is also known as lens lust, and among its known side effects is serious weight loss...of my wallet.

Concerning the TdF, what a sad development, but it has gone on for years. Their is enormous pressure on the athletes to go beyond what can be expected from a human being, even an exceedingly well trained one. Part is self-inflicted, when you organize your life around one aim, it must take real courage to stop short of reaching your ultimate goal, when it is that close. Part of it is certainly the teams, the sponsors, the media and the fans. they are just not interested in somebody giving his personal best, cycling no faster, jumping no higher, hitting no harder than others. as long as only winning counts and 2nd place is considered first loser, people will want to be first, at whatever price.
    I'm afraid that the only way to get rid of this behaviour is to get rid of pro sports completely.

20. .. . and then we have dog fights, crooked NBA refs and probably more, and drunk and driving movie stars. YET, we idolize all these over paid (albeit talented) folk and make them into super heroes at the expense of all else that needs our attention in this cruel world.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.