1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Leafcutters

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Randy, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    Crawling around on the floor of a Costa Rican forest, keeping an eye out for snakes, and yes I am 66 years old, and we were photographing ants ! And it was hot as you know what. So hot my socks were soaked, my eyes were stinging and my glasses were fogged. And this may have been my favorite shoot on the trip:) 

The leafcutter ants carry the leaf pieces back to their underground nests where the leaves are chewed into a pulp. The decaying pulp is stored with ant feces and fungus spores, and strands of fungus eventually grow on the decomposing pulp. This fungus is the crop that these ants eat; the ants do not eat the leaves.

p2918333272-5.
    NIKON D5    ---    150mm    f/8.0    1/250s    ISO 1000

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Nice captures in the heat and humidity, Randy. I have seen these little creatures in Costa Rica and they are very industrious and often have well worn pathways in the forests.

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Extraordinary shot, Randy! I tried shooting them and failed miserably! Well done!

Justin did a very nice video on them....HERE. Give it time to load....but it is under 5 minutes long.

4. It was worth the effort, I like it a lot.

5. Wow to both you and the ants!

6. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Wonderful picture Randy.
    It was worth the trouble.

Thank you for sharing
    Klaus

7. Awesome capture(y).

8. awesome capture!!!!

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"Snakes???? i'll stay home on the couch" - Georgie Beagle

9. Nicely done Randy, and interesting back story. Did you shoot this with the Sigma 150?

10. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thanks, I did, what a great old lens
    thanks alexis
    thanks
    thanks Klaus
    Thanks Bob
    thanks
    thanks Karen, my keeper rate was very low
    thanks Jack, they were everywhere we went

11. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Great shot with them carrying that leaf. I like the description of what they do with it, I never knew that - it's fascinating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.