Leamington Spa in IR

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by NikonConvert, Aug 16, 2005.

1. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
  2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Those are nice! The 93 filter gives it a look very like IR film.

3. Thanks for sharing your images. I don't know the first thing about shootin in IR but they look good to me. I like #1 and #3 the best.

4. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Edd,

I like your shots a lot. You captured that eerie looking white foilage I like so much about IR.

The shots you refer to with the blue sky are indeed straight IR shots out of the camera. Bobbie Joe aka Yves has a post where he explains how to process the images to bring out the colors in the IR shots.

Not sure exactly which post, but it is a little further down in one of his topics as a reply to someone that asked. I tried it on a quickee photo I took with a new filter I bought (https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=7858) and it worked like a charm. Though my image does his technique no justice.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Thanks guys, I am getting used to what settings to use on the camera to get the best results out of IR but the B+W 093 filter is really aggressive. Most of these shots are at least 3 second exposures @ F8 (ISO 200) so I'm getting motion blur from the trees blowing in the wind =(

I may invest in Hoya R72 filter but for now I shall persevere with the B+W.

6. A very nice series of photos, Edd. I really like how your bridge photography is partially hidden by the tree branches. Nice eye!

7. great shots

These are all great. That looks like a fantastic spot for IR. I particularly like the last one.

Dave

8. I'm happy to see this from a D2H, as I plan to shoot IR with a D2H and have my filter on the way now. I chose the 89B (720nm, same as R72) for the exact reason that it does allow a small amount of visible light to bleed through. The "false" colors you ask about are usually arrived at by altering the individual color channels, but it helps if you actually have at least some information in those channels to begin with. One other trick I've seen that I am really in love with, is to take one IR and one color shot of the same scene, then combine them together. Experimenting with this a little can arrive at truly dreamy images. But if you want the contrast of a deep blue sky, for example, I wouldn't paint it in. Dreamy is not the same thing as fake. I would composite it with "real" color in this manner.

Your 093 filter is a very deep cutoff at 830nm. Do your shots come straight out of the camera in B+W, as you've posted here? That is why I chose the 89B, but I'm slightly concerned it may need to be a slightly higher cutoff for the D2H. D2H is fairly sensitive to IR and I've read how easy it is to blow out the red channel with an 89B. I'll just have to wait until my filter arrives to really find out about that.

If you want to see some nice color tone, look here: http://www.dphoto.us/forumphotos/showgallery.php/cat/1196
    That is not my gallery, but one that I follow. The copper tones are actually coming from a strip of processed film that was being used as an IR filter! Undeveloped, but processed E6 is very close to some of the Wratten filters. You can even use 2 strips of it to cover your flash for IR flash photograhy. Ok I'm getting a little off the subject. I've been learning everything I can about IR while waiting on my filter :)

9. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey Edd,

I'm a total noob at this, I just sent one of my D70's out for an IR convert this monday, so I don't have any images to share just yet. In doing research on the whole blue sky thing, I learned one trick is to switch the blue and red channels in photoshop. I had no idea how to do that, and F1 wasn't much help :tongue:

I found a photoshop action that does it quick, no fuss no muss:

http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo94.php3

Hope that helps! :rolleyes: