Learning Curve?

Has anyone that upgraded from the D200 to the D300 experienced a BIg learning curve? Last night was the first time that I really got to try out the D300, and I'm not too happy with the results. Most of the photo's came out soft. I'm GUESSING it MUST me ME, because the same lens' used with my D200 have no issues.

I have made one change with the D300. I'm trying to shoot AF-C, instead of AF-S. And I'm using Dynamic instead of Single Point. Can THIS make that much of a difference?

Has anyone that upgraded from the D200 to the D300 experienced a BIg learning curve? Last night was the first time that I really got to try out the D300, and I'm not too happy with the results. Most of the photo's came out soft. I'm GUESSING it MUST me ME, because the same lens' used with my D200 have no issues.

I have made one change with the D300. I'm trying to shoot AF-C, instead of AF-S. And I'm using Dynamic instead of Single Point. Can THIS make that much of a difference?

Joe the D300 has had a lot of Front and Back focusing problems for me and a lot of other people, don't panic if that is the problem. Not with every lens but it did with a few of mine. That's why the D300 has AF fine-Tune. Have you checked your image on your computer to see if maybe that is the problem? I don't use NX capture for my processing but it will show you where you locked focus on. If that doesn't seem like it is sharp and something in the back or front of you locked focus point is, that could be your problem.

Go ahead and put the D300 back to how you normally shoot and we will cross AF-C and Dynamic mode on the 2nd step. First lets see if the above problem is causing these results. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had very little trouble they are very similar. The sharpening is a little different, do a search to find a good number to start with.

Thanx Debbie and Preston.

Debbie I set everything on the D300 like I had it on the D200. Now I gotta try to see how the photo's come out. I HOPE it's just me!!

I didn't have much learning curve from the D70s to the D700, so it can't be that bad. Most of this stuff is pretty intuitive.

Hey Joe,

Not from a D200 to a D300.. I'd imagine that these cameras are almost the same? But when I upgraded from a D40 to D300 it had a very, very steep learning curve. The menus are overwhelming, the buttons felt like they were all over the place, the autofocus looked weird, and the camera feels way, WAY bigger than what I was used to. The first two weeks that I had the D300, I couldn't nail a decent shot, it was frustrating. In fact so frustrating that I thought about selling it to get a D90. It took me about a month to get used to it, but once I did, it was all worth the patience. The pictures are amazing! It's not a camera that you just pick up and shoot.. you have to learn its nuances.

For static objects, I'd stay with AF-S. I rarely use AF-C, even with moving subjects. I prefer to "focus trap" with AF-ON. If you have a slower screwdrive lens, sometimes the AF-C gets confused and you'll be focus hunting all the time.

Just be patient with the D300 and shoot with it as much as you can. It's a difficult camera to master, but once everything falls into place, you'll be rewarded with great images!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I had a learning curve when transitioning from my D80 to the D300. So much so, I was ready to return the D300 after a week; I was that disappointed in my shots.

Gave the camera (and me...) a chance and now, wouldn't trade my D300 for anything. As Joseph stated, once everything falls into place - wow!

I just thought that the D200 and 300 were so similiar that the transition would be like shooting the D200. I guess I was wrong. I'm bummed cuz I had a 25year junior high reunion and am NOT happy at all with the shots I got with the D300.

I just thought that the D200 and 300 were so similiar that the transition would be like shooting the D200. I guess I was wrong. I'm bummed cuz I had a 25year junior high reunion and am NOT happy at all with the shots I got with the D300.

Joe hold tight, we will figure this out. Take a deep breath, everything will be ok I'm positive. It could be just one tiny little thing. I sent you a PM. Debbie:smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom