Learning fill flash with wild songbirds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by dmwphoto, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Frustrating day, but you have to start somewhere. Worked with SB-800 and 200-400 VR today. Do not yet have a flash extender and I am not well versed on flash but anyways let me know what you think. These are wild in the swamp, no feeders. Hope to set up some feeders at the house soon.
    Dave
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dave they are all just excellent.

Keep up the good work.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

The first looks a little hot, but the others look just fine. As Mike mentioned in another thread, you only need the flash extender when the distance to the subject is greater than about 30 - 40 feet. Especially at distances of 25 feet or less, just using the flash is fine.

4. Thanks Gale and Frank. The first on is a tad hot for sure. It was fun experimenting with this ALL day today. I did most of this on a monopod which I have never used before either so it was a good day learning. Appreciate you both taking the time to look and comment. I do not know how you keep up with all the posts that you both visit and weigh in on.
    Dave

5. Dave these are good for just getting started with ff. I have yet to try this and I really need to know that are days are short and dark. Let me know your secrets.

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Looking good Dave
    if you had not said you used flash I would not have noticed, that's a heck of a good start :biggrin:

7. Hey Jim and Ben,
    Thanks for the comments. It really is not going to be all that difficult once I get the workings of the SB800 ironed out in my feeble mind. I simply put it in the hot show and set it to TTL/BL and played with EV settings going from -2 to +2 to get varying results. I look forward to working with this more. Of the images above the only one that really "strikes" me is the second. The others are so so IMHO.
    Dave

8. Dave looks like you are on your way the first one is a little hot probably due to having more light in the frame that the others but the next ones look fine. A question did you have your flash set to TTL/FP or TTL/FP/BBL it seems when there is a lot of available light the BBL setting seems to make the flash shot look less like flashed shots. With a bunch of practice you will have a good idea on how much -EV to dial in. For your first effort top shelf job

9. appreciate your comments Mike. I also appreciate the information you gave me on your thread that actually got me started with this.
    Dave

10. I am in awe of the shots I see posted here, congratulations to all. I am new here, I know the numbers and technical issues, but need to learn how to shoot.
    I hope to do as well someday.
    One comment I can add- in the TTL-BL mode the camera is making decisions on flash intensity which can vary from shot to shot. Nikon has not really explained how the camera is thinking, or how it makes its decisions. It makes it difficult to manually control the ev since you don't know what the camera is about to do, and since flash intensity varies on its own it is hard to see what your manual adjustment did. My "guru" has recommended that I use TTL, not TTL-BL, mode if I want to manually adjust ev- or just use the TTL-BL and let the camera do its thing- which usually works if you really want just balanced flash. Just a thought, YMMV. Keep shooting!
    Gary

11. Gary,
    This seems to be good advice as the first shot in the series above is TTL only with 0 EV adjustments and came out hot. The second and my favorite of the bunch was TTL-BL and again no adjustments. The last two I made adjustments both + and -. so it would seem that what you suggest may hold water well. I am still trying to figure out what TTL-FP is and its value in all this. Look forward to more of your posts. Thanks for your kind comments and good suggestion.
    Dave

12. If you must know Dave the magic number for EV is a -1.7 I read it either from Moose Peterson or John Shaw.

Also, must be nice to have the day off? :eek:

But anywhoo the flash extender allows you to stop the lens down 1-2 stops to increase DOF by adding the extra light from the flash and allowing it to be more concentrated and throw further...

=======================================

13. Thanks for the "insider" information Eric!:cool: I assume you are using these settings and extender in the TTL-FP mode to achieve the desired results?

14. Dave I used the -1.7 on the flash even before I had a digital camera.. With the F5 I had or still have collecting dust it allowed you to shoot at high shutter speeds. Also the camera and flash had a setting called high speed sync . Same I guess as the DSLR systems that allowed you to shoot up to 1/8000 of a second...

Lately, I have not shot with flash that much, but will get to using it this upcoming weekend when I go out and try for some more birds and hopefully can get out to the Raptor Rehab Center again... They keep asking me to come out there again, but they do not have the time.. :^)