Learning how to use my new gear.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Nikam, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Don't really have any have any true macro capability - can we say lens lust setting in already :) :) - so I'm trying out what I have for now for close-ups.

The first one was taken with my 70-200VR + 1.7 TC at f8. Not very good bokeh. I think this particular shot would have been better without the TC. From my playing around, the bokeh gets better as the lens is opened up.

The other two are a couple from my garden using the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AIS. I really like this lens, but I still need a bit of play time with it.

Feel free to critique. That's how I learn.

2. I really like the second image. The detail and texture are amazing. The butterfly actually looks like he has fur. The bokeh in the second image is nice too.

I like the contrasting colors in the third image, but I think I would have liked to have seen some of the stem. I have never seen anything like it. What is it called?

3. Thanks for the comments Crystall.

The second one is some kind of moth. I saw it on the lawn while I was getting ready mow it and I moved it into the flower bed. We've had lots of rain the last two days (unusual for us) and it was still drying out or warming up I think. I was careful not to touch its wings. I thought the "fur" was kind of neat too.

The second one is a type of poppy. You're right, I think the stem might have helped the composition. I took it this way because I'm still waiting for an L-bracket from Kirk so I can mount the camera on my tripod. These were all hand-held, and I had to keep the lens relatively wide open which meant that I pretty much had to shoot staight down on it because of the shallow depth of field. As it is, portions of the petals are out of focus a bit. I sure like that lens though. I picked it up on ebay for about $70 US delivered and with the D2h you can enter in the focal length and minimum aperture and it will meter.

Thanks for looking. :) :)

4. Dennis, I'm looking at your list of gear, and wondering why you don't just buy a 60mm micro for $300.

5. Hi Frank.

The 60mm micro was on my original list when I was considering buying a D2X, but when I opted for the used D2H, I ordered a 300 f4 instead to give me a little more reach since I wouldn't have the high speed crop. I guess the 60mm micro is still on my wish list but it costs about $430 US here.

I was also considering the 500D on the 70-200 as a cheap alternative. Not sure which is the best way to go here. I suspect the 60mm micro gives sharper images and it is certainly a lot smaller to use. On the other hand, the the 70-200 + 500D would, I believe, put a little bit more distance between lens and subject and might therefore make insect work a bit easier.

In any case, I'll probably have to wait a couple of months to let my credit card cool off a bit. :)

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nothing wrong with your shots at alllll.

50mm is a great lens and you did a great job.

I also have a 70-200 VR VR VR and a cannn 500 D and a 50mm 1.8.

7. Hi Dennis,

I originally thought that your moth was a furry butterfly! LOL. I think the detail in that image is excellent.

As far as the 70-200+500D, I am getting used to the combination. I think I picked up the 500D locally for $150.00 or so. It has its own learning curve, and produces macro images with excellent DOF when combined with the 70-200VR. Examples of this lens combination can be found at http://pbase.com/cympearson/yellowjackets.

I have the 60mm micro lens which produces sharp images. I like the 60mm because it is a f/2.8 and can be hand held. You can also attach close up filters like the 5T or 6T (which also fit the 105 and 70-180). I used the 60mm often for macro images until I acquired the 70-180mm Micro Nikkor.

8. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Nice shots Nikam. I have a 70-200 and the 1.7 tc. I use it for fast or skittish bugs. I have the 300 f/4 and use the tc and a set of extention tubes. The 300 is good for close up.

9. Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Gale,

How are you finding your new 70-200 VR?

Crystall,

Looking at your yellow-jackets makes me think that the 500D is going to be my next lens purchase. As you commented, the depth of field is great.

Scott,

I'll have to give the 300f/4 a workout when I get it. It has a 77 mm filter size so I guess the 500D would also go on it. I haven't seen any posts with that combination though.

10. Micah

Micah

May 8, 2005
    That second one is really nice. I recently bought a D2H and my learning curve is, well...I'm still learning A LOT from all my mistakes.

Mary

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like you are a pretty quick study Dennis. These are all pretty good. I like the poppy. Very nice colors and contrast.