1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Learning to see in Black and White

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by e_No, Aug 18, 2009.

1. e_No

e_No

May 16, 2009
    Downey, CA
    The question of what makes a good Black and White (B&W) photograph has puzzled me more than any other photography-related issue. Frankly, for some time I operated under the principle that I never saw a B&W image that didn’t look better in color. Then came a trip to Paris this last spring. Following someone’s observation that “Paris was made for B&W photography,” I gave B&W a try, even setting my camera to capture RAW files with a monochrome profile. I was amazed...

You can read the rest of the write-up at: http://esfotoclix.com/blog1/?p=464

After spending some time on technical aspects of photography, the blog is now going to take up more subjective topics on what it takes to make a good image. You might also find yesterday's installment, titled Realism and framing choice (http://esfotoclix.com/blog1/?p=337), thought-provoking.

2. Interesting reading. I definitely am enjoying your perspective on B+W and your technical explorations as well. Thanks for taking the time to write out your thoughts and experiences.

3. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    interesting read on your blog....and very correct.......hving come from the film era and by that I mean the bw film era, I at times had a hard time trying NOT to see in BW to start with........ :-}}

I had a hard time understanding how upcoming photogs DID NOT see in BW.........I am glad to hear HS students tell that their photo teachers want them to shoot BW film and learn this way before the teacher will start to delve off in Photoshop and digital imaging.........the students complain at first then aby the end of the semester they are excited by seeing the actual developing of a photo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.