Leave-it-on, turn-it-off... argghhh!

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Czechman01, Apr 27, 2007.

1. What's the latest on this? I thought OSX was supposed to run 24/7 because it took care of some "housecleaning" in the middle of the night. Now I'm hearing that it doesn't...

I leave mine on.

So... leave it on or turn it off?

2. Despite the OS, I've heard that the worst thing you can do for a computer is turn it off and on. All my PCs have been running 24/7 since the 80's and nary a problem. All my tech buddies tell me 'leave it on' so I do. My antivirus program is scheduled to run in the middle of the night, same with all my updates, etc. I do schedule my computer to nap when not in use for a certain period of time but not off.

3. I assume that you select to never let the hard drive stop? That's the way I have my power settings configured... the monitor shuts off but the HD keeps spinning.

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    I had a Dell laptop that had chronic overheating problems. The help desk drone at Dell told me my problem was that I shouldn't leave it on and shut it down every night...hah hah hah hah hah!!! I asked him where in the manual it states that. He turned silent. They ended up replacing the whole laptop with one that has other chronic problems. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I leave my laptop on 24/7. I hibernate it when I'm in transit with it. But since it is Windows and can't run for long without memory issues, it has to get rebooted every couple days.

5. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    We have quite a few Macs, mostly laptops. All sleep when not in use. I'm sure it is better for the components to stay on full time, but I cannot use the electricity.

If you need to run the various scripts that are scheduled in the AM, you can use the command line tool "periodic" or a utility such as MacJanitor.

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I leave my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro on 24/7. They sleep . . .

7. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

Back in the day I used to turn my computers off and on and had hard drives stick and whine when restarting so now I leave them on all the time they go into sleep mode , been doing this for years no problems yet.

8. Correct, on both the PC and the laptops.

I always reboot if loading something new on, whether it asks me to or not. I like to reset everything so I know it all works together.

I've had the best performance from custom built PCs. I used to use Compaq and they were always breaking down. A technician 'quietly' told me that there's a reason why they only offer a one year warranty - because that's all the time they expect the parts to work properly! :eek: With so little profit margin in the computer industry, dollars to donuts, they're not sticking in top quality parts. I always tell my technician to build with the best so I don't have any problems and can count on it at all times. My computers get used a LOT due to hobbies and business. I drive 'em hard!

That technician probably told you to turn it off so the hard drive's life would extend to the end of the warranty period! :biggrin:

On another note but along the same lines, Costco Canada has ceased carrying Maxtor external and internal drives due to catastrophic failure rate. They'll only stock Western Digitals now. I returned all my Maxtors to Costco last fall for full credits. I'm WD or Seagate all the way now.

9. I have owned computers for over 30 years. I have always turned them off each night. I now run Macs and I continue the practice. OS X will run the crons since about 10.4.4 even if one shuts them down daily.

I think the real key to longevity of components is to have the computer connected to a good UPS. This reduces the effects of any surges or brown-outs.

10. Larry makes an excellent point here. UPS are a must.

11. Absolutely the best money you can spend... for the pittance you have to pay, you're buying a LOT of protection and convenience. I live in an area where there are momentary power outages and the UPS keeps me going without a hitch.

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'm with Larry on this one. Been running and building PC's just as long. One of them is 12 years old and still going. Used daily for Lotus 1-2-3 on DOS.

Oh the horror!

Mine get turned off when they are not in use. Never had a problem. I have seen a few get hit by lightning while running during the middle of the night. :eek: In my opinion, if there is a part failure because it was used like this then it was defective.

A good UPS is a must!

13. I turn my Macs off when I am going to bed, and I turn them off if I am going to be away from them for say, more than two hours. If I'm just doing stuff around the house and one or more are on, no biggie, but if I am going to be leaving the house for more than a couple of hours I feel more comfortable knowing that they are safely shut down. I don't want an unexpected thunderstorm coming along and frying my computers' innards!

I have UPS on my Macs, too, an extra measure of protection and peace of mind.

14. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Wow....all those computers running 24/7 and they wonder why we have problems with carbon emissions....

:Shocked:

15. Not to appear argumentative but if lightning strikes it makes no difference if the computer is running or not.

16. Seagate owns Maxtor. You can't win, you can't break even and you can't get out of the game. :tongue:

However, I've also switched (earlier) to Seagate with good results. The boot drive of my Mac Pro is a W.D. 10,000 rpm Raptor. It really speeds loading; I wish they made 10,000 RPM SATA drives as well.

For the record I've always left my stuff on 24/7 since the 1980's. I did have a rash of WD failures around 2000 but mostly Maxtors recently. Watch out buying from discount houses. The Maxtor I bought from Frye for, what I though was a great price turned out to be reconditioned. It failed in a month; the replacement drive failed in three months. That month I threw away three Maxtor drives.

Like all things in life you get what you pay for. I noticed Micro Center has pulled all the Maxtors from their shelves. The one thing for sure that kills drives is heat, no matter what you pay for the drive. The problem with PC cases was all the cabling inside interfered with air flow. Recently I converted a PC motherboard to a Gigabyte server and filled it with drives. I bought a unique Antec case with the power supply on the bottom with the drives as well so it formed a wind tunnel. Tha device has been running like a "Swiss watch" for six months now.

Rich

17. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Yupper....if it's connected to the wall, on or off, if the electrical pulse comes thru it will fry it. I unplug my computers & monitors if I am gone for an extended period of time.

Rich....I also unplug my HT projector as well.....I think that is the most electrically sensitive piece of equipment I own.

18. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    G5 Power Mac... on all the time. Bought it in October from Rich Gibson, not one problem, or even a hint of a problem.

Glad I switched from Windows. :biggrin:

19. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Mine are on 24/7, although the monitors go to sleep. I'd rather have idle activities such as defgramenting, indexing, virus/spyware scanning, etc happen when I'm away from the computer.

20. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Your not being argumentative. Heck, I have seen them get hit when they were not plugged in at all. Just being in the same room can damage them from the EMP. A TV in the room took a hard hit and it corrupted the HD and damaged a few of the memory chips. No connections at all. Being a repair tech, I saw many odd things.:wink:

But.... There is always one of those:tongue:

Being on at night when most things are off in a home does increase the odds that it will be the thing that gets hit the most.