1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Leaves

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Mike Buckley, May 23, 2019.

1. A simple scene.

I use batch processing for downsizing photos and for this photo the sharpening is too much on the moss; that part of the image is much more satisfying in the full-size file.

Mike 2019-05-12--046-S.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Current post is a bit on the small side ... Perhaps a larger image to allow a better appreciation?

3. An enjoyable image that suggests an old woodland environment, Mike!
    With the corresponding peaceful atmosphere.
    Also, the difference in texture between the lighter leaves and the darker moss is really interesting.

I don't see a problem with the sharpening of the moss. Probably because I didn't see the actual texture.

4. Thank you to Dayo and Bart!

No doubt the next thing you'll ask of me is to hold another contest about guessing the date of the next CNX upgrade. :ROFLMAO: 

Seriously, the image size I use nicely fits a 1920 x 1080 monitor. That's because that's the resolution of my monitor and I think most folks' monitors, though I realize there is a growing number of people using monitors at considerably higher resolutions.

5. IMO the issue is not the sharpness of the moss , but the competition between the moss and the leaves Mike. Even so, IMO the leaves win the competition. When I downsize my images, I don't use autosharpening options. I sharpen the image after downsizing according to my taste. I have more control on sharpening this way because I can apply different sharpening values to the different parts of an image selectively.

6. I'm glad at least that the leaves win the competition! :D 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.