Led lights for low light photography?

Hi

I would like to ask if anyone uses led lights like the F&V Z96 in low light places like a restaurant instead of relying on flash or high ISO?

I'm wondering whether the led lights will create harsh lighting?

Any thoughts?

I own a Lowel ID 100 watt video light.
I use it at wedding receptions for extra light with large groups like 35 people.
I also use it for special effects for things like this. The advantage here is seeing the light as you shoot and not wasting the couples time trying different flash levels and positions.

6399783169_e0da189a3e_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In natural light settings I sometimes use it to highlight certain areas of the scene. I used it two weeks ago to highlight the bedroom of this B&B.
One advantage of using it in a long exposure is being able to light more than one area simply by pointing it like you would a flash light.

6399808695_674849a2b4_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This 100 watt light would be much brighter than your LED but the affect is the same. Both are dimmable. I bought barn doors for mine to allow more control over the direction of the light.

The disadvantage to these is they draw more attention than a flash. Turn on one of these on in a restaurant and you'll have people looking to see what's going on. If you're the paid photographer you can get away with it. If it were my family out in public I wouldn't use it because others may find it a little offensive.

Hi Greg

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think using the led lights in a dark environment will create a lot of attention.

Latest threads

Top Bottom