LED Monitors

Okay , here is the deal now LED monitors are coming and soon they will take over the market the alien's in movie Mars attack .....:wink:

the question is any idea how they will be good in term of Photographer use ...
like still crt are good but no more ,, then LCD monitors comes with LCD Panel Technology - S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, MVA and TN...

so any though or any one used the LED based monitor

My understanding the backlit aspect of the LEDs are the only difference. Otherwise for all intents and purposes an LED monitor is still a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) so IPS is still possible. Just like my 27" LED IPS iMac.

LED's don't offer much an advantage to a photographer editing wise. Many professional editing displays are still using traditional CCFL backlighting, such as NEC and Eizo.

If you're willing to spend the money, then absolutely. NEC monitors are considered one of the best values in professional displays. Excellent screen uniformity, hardware LUTS, extended gamut if you need it, and easy and accurate calibration, especially with the Spectraview software and calibrator.

LEDs = good

The LED backlights are great replacements for the CCFL in a LCD display....no real change needed (but recommended) for the LCD itself.

LED's offer the opportunity for better color output.
Their color is more stable over life and temprature.
This stability makes it far easier to match the color filter to the LEDs....
Really, they differ enough that the filters should be matched, just swapping backlights will lead to a weird output gamut.

Full-Array backlights offer better uniformity as well as local dimming.
Local dimming saves power as well as giving better contrast with notably improved blacks.

Also -- no mercury-filled CCFL to recycle.

So -- LED's are a big improvment -- don't buy a CCFL display.

LED's are indeed superior to CCFL's in some ways, but many professional displays use CCFL technology, so DO NOT purchase a professional editing display simply because of the backlight technology. NEC's and EIZO's aren't built for eye candy. They are precision instruments and I'm only guessing these manufacturers haven't adopted LED technology because they do not see added value for their purposes.

Traditional (white) LED's actually do not necessarily provide better color output, gamut wise. The only LED's that have significantly better gamuts are RGB-LED's and OLED's and they are either unavailable or cost significantly more money. NEC made or makes an RGB-LED monitor, but it cost substantially more than their traditional displays.

Local dimming does provide deeper blacks, but for editing purposes, that does not mean much, especially for printing. The D-max for most papers doesn't even come close to even the most mediocre of displays contrast wise. My display's contrast ratio hovers around 300:1 and it matches perfectly for print output. What's vastly more important than black levels is grayscale tracking and these CCFL displays by NEC and EIZO absolutely run circles around LED displays.

Last but not least, NEC (I'm not sure about EIZO) actually have technology that stabilizes and makes the light output very uniform throughout the entire screen. Again, even more so than traditional LED displays. Besides, for any professional editing display used on a continual basis, it is expected that the use calibrate it weekly, regardless of backlight technology. NEC w/ Spectraview software is about as easy as calibration gets.

With all that being said, LED displays do produce a punchier color. A friend of mine uses a 27" LED Imac to display pics for clients and it looks great. I intend to do something similar in the future for clients coming in to see pictures in a studio.

I have a new NEC PA271W monitor with the SpectraViewII package and the quality, uniformity and true to life colours just blows me away. It's far better than I imagined it would be.

I have a Samsung LED monitor. It is extremely difficult to calibrate it properly.

Im having the same problem with my Samsung FX2490HD monitor. I know they have them monitor calibration tools that I can buy but do they really work?

Boy, I shouldn't have gone into Fry's today. The LCD's in there blew me away. I was able to pull myself outta there without buying one BUT, research is being done now.