Legalities of printing quotations etc....

I have a question for anybody that may know. I have a book I have made with all of my best Macros from 2010. I plan to add a title for each page somewhere that lists the common name and scientific name of the insect. I would also like to be able to list some information about the insect on each page. I plan to print a copy to have in my Science classroom and as such would like it to be somewhat informative.

That is where my question comes in. For the information, can I copy from Wikipedia? If so, do I need to cite the wikipedia page (which can change often)? What about printing those quotes in my photo book?

What about another book? Like my Entomology guides? Can I use information from those in my photo book if I cite the original book as a source? I know I can get away with that when doing a paper or something, but have never really done anything like having it in a photobook.

I don't plan to sell any of these books and they are mainly for personal use to showcase my work from that year (to remember 30 years from now) and to use in my classroom. Would it change if I planned to sell the books down the road?

I DID do a search on the net but couldn't come up with much of anything...any tips or advice would be appreciated.

I agree with not using Wikipedia................it's an encyclopedia written by "anyone"!!!!! There are no guarantees that what's written is even factual! It should really be called "Joke-apedia"!!!!!

I agree with not using Wikipedia................it's an encyclopedia written by "anyone"!!!!! There are no guarantees that what's written is even factual! It should really be called "Joke-apedia"!!!!!
Chris, this is not the place to discuss this so I am only going to post once in this thread. I would urge to you give it a try. Pick any subject(s) you know and give the articles a good read, then you can form an opinion. As a long-time Wikipedia editor and contributor, my opinion is different than yours. Sure, there are possibilities of vandalism and less-than true statements, but the encyclopedia is self-correcting and with thousands of dedicated people working there we strive to make it the best it can be. It has improved tremendously in the past few years. Give it a try. You'd be surprised.

Chris, this is not the place to discuss this so I am only going to post once in this thread. I would urge to you give it a try. Pick any subject(s) you know and give the articles a good read, then you can form an opinion. As a long-time Wikipedia editor and contributor, my opinion is different than yours. Sure, there are possibilities of vandalism and less-than true statements, but the encyclopedia is self-correcting and with thousands of dedicated people working there we strive to make it the best it can be. It has improved tremendously in the past few years. Give it a try. You'd be surprised.
Wikipedia has also on occasion been tested - and found to be more accurate than printed sources like Britannica...

I have no worries at all about the accurateness of wikipedia. I am knowledgeable enough on this subject to know if I see a red flag on misinformation and can always double check the info from my books. I was merely looking for an easy way to get the information without worrying about legal ramifications of printing it in my photo book.

That said, it's moot point. I decided to go a different route. Instead of posting factual information, I am going to post the short story about the shoot and the insect's behavior as I photographed it. I think that will be more interesting anyway. Thank you to those that replied though.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom