Leica M8, anyone?

Rangefinder camera is a camera that will fit Leica Noctilux lens on it. Cant do that with a SLR. :)

Why does it cost so much? I'm not sure. I think Leica are trying to price themselves out of business. With their prices, probably only the crazy and the rich are buying their gear new, everyone else is buying it used.

how it works: to focus you look through a viewfinder with parallax corrected framelines with a spot in the center that shows a double image when out of focus, when you focus the lens, the double image comes together. (no depth of field preview, but the lenses still have a dof scale!)
there are many things that a rangefinder can do better, as well as just a personal prefrence, than an SLR:
1. quieter shutter (no mirror slap/vibration)
2. smaller body + lenses
3 easier/faster to focus in low light (for some)
4 no viewfinder blackout/no shuter lag (no need to wait for a mirror to move)
5 being able to see outside the frameline as you shoot is kinda nice
6 lenses are not of the retrofocus type due to having them closer to film plane (sharper/ less distortion)

7 they appear less intimidating to some people, look fancier, etc
8 the M8 has no AA filter on the sensor (sharper images)
9 LENSES: there is a 50mm f/0.95, a 21mm f/1.4, a 24mm 1.4, 35 f/1.4, and many other legendary lenses

The M8 (I dont own one) is a joy to use, and although it seems high priced, its a camera you buy for life. Rather than discontinuing it and releasing a new model, owners can have their m8 upgraded, or customers can buy an m8.2 with the upgrades already built in. (I like that better than cameras being "obsolete" after a year or so and losing over half its value.) Many people enjoy the classic feel of the camera including selecting aperture on the lens, and shutter speed with a dial on top (the way cameras used to be). did I leave anything else out?

ps.
when im not using my d200, this is what im using:
2002197vb4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

They're like the Rolls Royce of rangefinders. They make easily some of the best 35mm lenses in existence. Their company was one of the first to make a portable 135 format camera, which revolutionized photography.

S

scooptdoo

leica have always been pricey and they have been in bueseness for a very long time.they are out of my price range so no im not buying one.but if price were of no concern id own one in a minute.rangefinders are a joy for street,people PJ ect ect.

Altough I really love Leica ( hey I never leave home without my M6 ) I can't fathom spending that price for a camera that will be obsolete in a year at best, especially since it's still a cropped sensor and not at all up to date with the actual top sensors out there. Were it a film camera the price could be justified as those cameras keep on going strong year after year.

S

scooptdoo

Altough I really love Leica ( hey I never leave home without my M6 ) I can't fathom spending that price for a camera that will be obsolete in a year at best, especially since it's still a cropped sensor and not at all up to date with the actual top sensors out there. Were it a film camera the price could be justified as those cameras keep on going strong year after year.

Not sure id call it a cropped sensor.yea its half a big as a full sized 35MM sensor,but the 3/4 system was designed from scratch to be digital.you cant argue with leica optical quality.they cost alot but they seem to stay in bitness a very very long time.
i think in the next couple of years the 3/4 system will shine well see.bigger and more pixels may not be the most efficint way to go about digital photograghy well see.

Not sure id call it a cropped sensor.yea its half a big as a full sized 35MM sensor,but the 3/4 system was designed from scratch to be digital.you cant argue with leica optical quality.they cost alot but they seem to stay in bitness a very very long time.
i think in the next couple of years the 3/4 system will shine well see.bigger and more pixels may not be the most efficint way to go about digital photograghy well see.

Actually the D-Lux cameras are 4/3 but the M8 isn't. It's neither a 4/3 neither a 24x36, it's 18x27 mm and has a crop factor of 1,33:wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom