1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Leica M8 review at dpr

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon System Cameras' started by fks, Jul 31, 2007.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    in case anyone's interested, DPReview has posted their Leica M8 review

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leicam8/

to be honest, i'm underwhelmed by the sample images. i'd love to see some photos from this camera that justify the price and confirm the leica mystique.

ricky

2. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    I simply can not believe that reviewer said the M8 changed the way he shoots... for 6400 hundered dollars that simply is insane when the quality is not noticebly better than the D200 or 5D... quite sad. To me a Lecia is just another name for a Rolex in photo terms. Not meant for everyone but only for a few that has the cash.

Thanks for the link Ricky.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I feel that way about the M8 as well. Now a film M, ... that's a different story.

4. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    6400 hundred dollars LOL... so is that like 6,400,000? just kidding with you man

5. LB Jefferies

LB Jefferies

Jan 29, 2006
    "that simply is insane when the quality is not noticebly better than the D200 or 5D"

Have you shot an M8 alongside a D200? I did, and now I'm down to the D2x and M8. :wink:

I won't waste your time or mine with web sized sample images, though. That will prove nothing, IMHO. Make some tabloid sized or larger prints and you'll see the difference. :smile:

That's all just my tuppence, of course. :biggrin:

6. i have never used one

so i will be careful to comment, but after reading the review I can see that it's a fantastic camera let down by poor processing and sensor - unfortunately in the age of digital, the software is just as important as the hardware: you can have the most fantastic machine with the best optics available and if the software that renders the image isn't up to par than the end result will also be the same (same analogy as a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link) I think that being said people who purchase these cam's care less about output and more about the experience of using one.

7. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Man, it better be a whole lot better for being 3x as expensive, and that's just the body. :eek:  Is there a reason I'm not seeing that they don't compare it to the Canon 1DMKIII and the D2Xs? It would seem they're at the same price point?

8. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    Maybe Lecia is going to come out with an M8s priced at 12 grand and then they'll compare it to the MKIII and D2Xs. But by then the D3 will have come out and Lecia will be behind the scene with the M9s priced at 20 Grand.:smile:

9. I own and use both the M8 and the D2Xs. Both very fine boxes and they each have their own special attributes.

I really don't know why the price knocking... as I recall they were about the same price. MY value received was excellent.

These discussions will go on forever... So, go forth and continue(?) to enjoy photography.

10. I have always lusted after the Leica M series. When I was younger I was able to pick up a (then) new M4 body in Europe. I was never able to afford Leica glass so I used a Nikon Leica-thread lens with M adapter on it. But as much as I loved it I needed a system with glass I could afford so I sold the M4 to a doctor.

At this stage of my life I have more discretionary income and could probably swing a modest Leica system. I am now pretty much fully digital, so while I can still appreciate the M7 and MP bodies I will not be buying one. The M8 though really appeals to me.

11. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    One of my all time favorite film cameras was the Leica M6. I couldn't afford a bunch of lenses, so just had the 50 f/2 Summicron. I did some of my best photography with the M6.
    I don't know..it was just something about the quality and simplicity of the camera that was liberating.
    I still used an SLR for other types of photography, but I loved the M6. I no longer have it, because my eyes got to where it was harder for me to focus, even with the RF.
    Now I'm in digital..so I probably won't go back to Leica, but I was never sorry I bought one. And wish I'd kept it and passed it down to my children.

12. Don't forget that the reason a D200 is as inexpensive as it is has to do with far less expensive labor (Thailand vs Germany) and huge differences in the economies of scale which Leica simply cannot achieve.

As for IQ of the M8 vs the D200, the M8 simply wins hands down (I have and shoot both). So why do I keep my D200? because it is a fantastic camera and I have some amazing Nikkor lenses for it as well. Plus it does things the Leica can't -- and vice versa.

Which camera do I prefer to shoot with? The M8 -- but I started out with an M3 in the early 60s, so I am a bit biased. ;-) (Then again I got my first Nikon F in 1967, so I am biased in favor of Nikon, too!)

Bottom line is that the M8 is the simply best compact digital camera on the market at this time -- regardless of price. And it's a joy to use!

13. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    I certainly didn't expect it to be so similar to the 400D in terms of WxH :O

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Huh? It's about the same size as any other M.

15. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    This may be the dumbest question in this thread, but what kind of lenses does the Leica use? I know very little outside of sigma, nikon, canon, and fuji.

16. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    This camera intrigues me as I like the images I have seen from it, however I hear it is ONLY manual focus? Man that is a bummer for me

17. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I loved the original M6 (my first Leica). I sold it after a time, and wound up with a (higher mag viewfinder .85 mag...whereas normal was .75) M6TTL.
    But my eyes had trouble with the RF focusing...or rather seeing the RF. I need reading glasses but not glasses full time.
    So I would be intrigued by the M8..but since it's manual focusing, it's not even a consideration for me.
    That's not a knock against the camera, just against me.

18. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    An excellent point! Value is very subjective. When I bought my first M6 and 50 f/2...the total cost was around $2800. That's still a lot of money today, but it really was then too.
    It's hard to explain to someone who's never shot with a Leica, but there's just something about the Leica Rangefinder. It's not for everyone. In fact, the first week I had it, I thought I'd made a $$$$ mistake.
    I kept shooting..and within the month, it was second nature, I was in love with the camera. I took it everywhere!
    So for me, while expensive...the value I recieved was excellent!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.