1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Leica offering a 50mm f/0.95 (!) lens...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by paulskimcb, Sep 15, 2008.

1. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    From DPReview:
    Along with the M8.2, Leica has unveiled the world’s fastest asphercial lens, the NOCTILUX-M 50 mm f/0.95 ASPH. offering the market a faster lens than the SUMMILUX-M 50 mm f /1.4 ASPH. The wide maximum aperture gives extremely shallow depth of field and very low-light capability. Priced at £6290 it will be made available in February 2009.
    C'mon, Nikon. Time to play catch up!

2. Oh my goodness! Affordable too!

3. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    Optical designs for f/1 and larger aperture lenses have been around for a long time. Its optics 101 and I'm sure Nikon engineers/designers are well aware of them. Its not about catching up but practicality.

4. Funny how some want less DOF while others, myself included, try hard to increase DOF....shooting macro.

5. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    im still laughing at rich's comment!!!

6. I think this is just an exercise for the sake of it. To produce a collectors item.
    I don't think it has a real utility on the field. My opinion, though.
    Actually, I'm of the opinion that whatever lens over/under F/2 is more part of a problem than a solution.

7. giletti

giletti

Jan 12, 2008
    Victoria, BC
    Whoops, I had originally read 629 Pounds and thought "That is not even that insane". ... geez

8. I have just checked the current exchange rates and that equates to $14,037.17 Australian $, for a 50mm lens. Suddenly that 24 - 70mm does not look that expensive.....

9. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    wow, i'll take 2 in case the 1st one breaks!

10. Tim W

Tim W

Mar 10, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    I can just hear, the "would you like a protective filter with that?" question from the guy in the local camera shop................

11. Wail

Wail

Aug 14, 2007
    Saudi Arabia
    Group-buy .. we can probably negotiate a discount ?!?

12. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    It's not all about DOF but low light shooting or should I say extremely low light in this case. People should stop automatically think that huge apertures only mean small DOF :wink:

13. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I just bought one on ebay for 1 million. What a steal!

14. But with an f stop of <1.0, your focus better be dead on and the subject better be flat....especially in low light.

15. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    It all depends on the distance of your subject. It's less of an issue if it's far away. Obviously for macro you're spot on, but then again Leicas have never really been suited for macro.

16. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Sounds like a tax on stupidity to me.

My suspicion is that Leica do not have the money to invest in computer controlled lens manufacture compared to larger companies such as Nikon and Zeiss, and consequently they have to rely on more expensive manufacturing methods.

I wonder who will buy these Leica lenses? And unless they offer practical options such as Snakeskin focus grips, they won't sell.

17. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I wouldn't bet on that at all. Why they cost so much ? Well a reason to that is that they're hand assembled just like their cameras and not by cheap workers in Asia.

Secondly their lenses have always sold and probably will continue to do so. When you think about it buying a D3 with say a 70-200, a 12-24 and an SB-900 will cost you a whopping $8619,8 and that's not counting the memory card you need, the batteries and of course the computer and software and hard drives and … So in that light, for someone how already has say an M6/7 it might seem "reasonable". But I do admit prices are a bit hard to swallow even for great build and quality …

18. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Better hope Nute doesn't read that! :eek: 

19. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Well, they certainly are a niche player, but that's like saying Porche ownership is a "tax on stupid." Yes, and no. If you have the means (trust me, I don't) and you're willing to pay the price for the very highest quality, then it doesn't really seem so stupid after all...

And I agree with Julien: I imagine many of us (including me) have more invested in our equipment than would seem reasonable. To someone like Ken Rockwell, for example, a 24-70mm f/2.8 is a "tax on stupid." After all, for less $$$ you can get the do-everything 18-200 VR, which even covers the same focal length (and then some, on each end!). And primes?!? Why buy a prime at all when zooms are less expensive?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.