1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Leica S2 Lays Down the Gauntlet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Walter, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Leica announced a 30x45mm sensor 37MB digital SLR called the Leica S2.

2. My understanding it will have a very expensive MF with digital back type price to go along with that camera

3. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Crazy...So does this do a reverse crop factor? :p 

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    is this the first time Leica is using AF?

5. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I doubt it has autofocus - that technology is less than 50 years o... whooah! strike that. It does have autofocus!

6. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Awesome! And I love that it handles like a regular SLR that many of us ar familiar with, unlike the Hassy offerings.

Now there's still that nagging issue of it probably costing as much as a house.... :frown:

7. At DPReview.com they're talking 30,000 Euros. :eek: 

Rich

8. Maybe not a house, but certainly a REALLY nice car.... Oh yeah, then you have to buy lenses too :eek: 

9. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    But for that amount they'll provide you for free with some infrared/uv gels that you can stick to your lenses later when it turns out that they forgot to include an IR/UV filter on the sensor :smile:

10. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    12057_leica_s2_3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Based on this picture, we're basically looking at a medium format sized camera, only re-engineered to look more like an SLR. Either that, or the person holding it is an elf...

11. ewelch

ewelch Guest

It has AF. Leica did invent AF back in 1973 and then sold it to Minolta. Their board said, "Our customers know how to focus." Typical Leica.

This camera is between the D300 and D3 in size. It's going to have stunning quality.

It's aimed at the high-end fashion/advertising photography markets. But they are planning a range of equipment aimed at amateurs later. But for now they are concentrating on pros. They are creating a new professional support division, and have hired over 100 workers to increase their production capabilities.

People who dismiss this camera might do well to think twice. They invented 35mm photography and they seem to be bent on doing something similar in medium format.

12. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    That was then and this is now. If Leica wants to change the market they have to change their prices. Given the price that the M8 is selling at I doubt that an amateur model of this format is going to cost less than $10,000

A $10,000 will not change the market; it will remain in a niche instead.

13. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    More like $25k. It's a huge gamble for Leica and is targeted toward a niche market. Nikon's upcoming MX format is rumored to be much, much cheaper than any existing medium format system, so Leica is already in trouble. They would have made much more money building lenses for Nikon and Canon SLRs than invent an entirely new system.

14. Looks like this camera is going to require a LOT of menu diving to change even the most simple settings. I know it isn't chintzy, but it sure looks it. The back of it looks like a toy with a cheap thumb wheel and tiny screen. Oh well, I know it will probably make stunning images, but MAN is their design team behind the curve ball on aesthetics.

15. Amarok

Amarok

Aug 25, 2008
    Prairie City OR
    so it has 4 buttons one dial on top and one on the back and looks like a toy. I'm sorry I know that the camera is gear to "pros" but at that price point to me it seems like its more of a more money than brains kinda thing.

Think of how much HD space you will need to get just to store those files. Not to mention the kind of memory you will need to process those files. How much will the lenses cost? I'm sorry but you could buy just about every Nikon pro lens and a couple D3's for that price.

16. Not...

Not my cup of tea... Even if it was I wouldn't be able to pay for it any time soon 20,000 Euros for the body only wowser!

17. Well it looks like a cheap plastic toy camera to me , but I'm sure it's top quality stuff. But at 25k it better be, and there lens will be several grand each also. You won't be buying a Sigma or Tamron for that camera :) 

18. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Anybody else notice the pictures of the body and system keep disappearing?! I had to go to 7 different sites before finding the images still up on the Polish site I linked. Looks like they're off of there now, too!

19. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    those are some seriously nice lenses, pretty fast considering that they are for medium format

20. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Here are some photos of the camera and lenses :

2878558869_267249cf14_o.jpg

2879392552_0d1cbcfba5_o.jpg

More on this flickr set from this user.

And here's the link to Leica's S2 site.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.