Leica X Vario Digital Camera (Black)$$$$$

That would be a lot heavier and it wouldn't have the Red dot :eek:
I don't see the point of paying that kind of dough unless it's an M body. At least you're paying for something that is unique in the camera world. Leica's non-M bodies are more just show-off luxury pieces.

X100, X20, RX1 anyone? This thing is a cheap P&S with an expensive red dot. I thought Leica was supposed to be the best. I guess they're trying to emulate Hasselblad's business model.

Sing it Ella!

Reminds me of a song Ella Fitzgerald sang on an old album, excuse me, CD I loved. The song was "How High The Moon", some of these latest digital cameras are singing that tune! :676:

When Sony comes out with their FF mirrorless camera later this year and then others follow Leica may be in for real trouble. The RX-1 already kills anything Leica makes at that focal length

JMO
How so? Leica lenses and the range-finder way of shooting is the essence of the system. There is nothing else like it! I do like my nex7, but more so with my Leica lenses on it!

How so? Leica lenses and the range-finder way of shooting is the essence of the system. There is nothing else like it! I do like my nex7, but more so with my Leica lenses on it!
It's a big unknown as to how the rumored FF NEX will handle rangefinder glass wider than 35mm. It seems that they are taking more time with body design now and lengthening their product cycle. If they can get their sensor to work well with symmetric wide angle glass with oblique ray angles, it will definitely make designing new compact lenses for the system much easier. And I think that's the only way they'll sell the system over existing FX DSLRs. They won't compete with C-AF or telephoto glass, but if they can get their wide and normal lenses sized down and maintain the awesomeness we've seen with the RX-1, they will have a winner. If lenses are just as bulky as Nikon lenses, I don't know how they'd sway anyone to switch systems, and the price of entry will be too high for people new to photography.

Oh yeah, and this Leica camera now takes the prize for "worst bang for the buck" right behind the Hassy Lunar. If the lens is absolutely stellar at all focal lengths, it could conceivably be a decent portable tripod camera, but that's about it.

I haven't had the chance to use my C-V 12 mm/ 5.6 Ultar Wide Heliar on the M9, but if if it were to work on the Nex7 it would be killer.

It's a big unknown as to how the rumored FF NEX will handle rangefinder glass wider than 35mm. It seems that they are taking more time with body design now and lengthening their product cycle. If they can get their sensor to work well with symmetric wide angle glass with oblique ray angles, it will definitely make designing new compact lenses for the system much easier. And I think that's the only way they'll sell the system over existing FX DSLRs. They won't compete with C-AF or telephoto glass, but if they can get their wide and normal lenses sized down and maintain the awesomeness we've seen with the RX-1, they will have a winner. If lenses are just as bulky as Nikon lenses, I don't know how they'd sway anyone to switch systems, and the price of entry will be too high for people new to photography.
If Sony does an FF NEX body what about the lenses? Will it use the same E-mount allowing for backwards compatibility? If not, will they create a new mount and new lenses? After getting a taste of the Nikon 1's ability to do AF-C with both native and adapted Nikon AF-S glass (as of this week), I'm inclined to say that I do not want to go back to a CDAF mirrorless system. Hybrid PDAF is the future!

If Sony does an FF NEX body what about the lenses? Will it use the same E-mount allowing for backwards compatibility? If not, will they create a new mount and new lenses? After getting a taste of the Nikon 1's ability to do AF-C with both native and adapted Nikon AF-S glass (as of this week), I'm inclined to say that I do not want to go back to a CDAF mirrorless system. Hybrid PDAF is the future!
I don't know about the mount. There has been a lot of speculation that the throat of the mount is not wide enough or barely wide enough to accomodate large enough for lenses with full-frame coverage. But that's just speculation from people more knowledgeable than me.

It would be really cool if Sony could master on-chip PDAF or hybrid like you describe. I don't notice anything spectacular with the NEX-6 which uses this tech, but surely it can be done. If so, then they can design lenses without having to use small lightweight minimal movement elements needed for CDAF lenses. But I still think that small lens size and low weight will ultimately be the drivers of success for Sony.

Wow, I'd rather get a D3200 and 17-55mm for way under that price!
Nothing like been practical! I am 100% with you.
I am not known by been a Leica fan. Leica opened a store in Miami and a local street photography group held a meeting there that I attended. I found pitiful seen several photographers sporting Leicas and telling me those were the "best cameras they have ever owned."
I asked one of them how much he paid for his Leica and he replied he paid $5000. Do you have AF? No, I love the rangefinder was the answer.
The more I know about Leicas the more I love my D7000.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I asked one of them how much he paid for his Leica and he replied he paid $5000. Do you have AF? No, I love the rangefinder was the answer.
And how much does a D4 cost again?

Does a Leica M have AF, no and so what? But photographers have shot for decades without AF virtually anything. I don't see the issue with not having AF.

What may be a drawback for some can a feature for others…

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom