Critique Lemon pound cake

My first lemon pound cake. The recipe is from Cook's Illustrated. I made it for a Zoom dinner with my wife and me on our end and my childhood friend on the other end. So good that I'll continue to make it.

Setup
The tabletop is translucent white acrylic on top of a black tabletop. The background (not included in the photo) is white fabric that reflected light onto the scene and was draped onto the right rear tabletop to add a bit of texture. A medium continuous-light lamp high in the left front area brightened the rear part of the scene. A small one fitted with a diffusion sock on the right lit the part of the scene that is in focus. A white reflector above the scene on the right lifted the shadow tones on the dessert plate.

Focus Bracketing
10 focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 with the steps limited to the front piece of cake were stacked in Helicon Focus at default settings.

MIke 2020-08-07---0002--S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Looks delicious! I can almost smell the lemons!

The next time you do this kind of set up, could you take a photo of the whole set up? I need a visual as I think about setting up a small table for photographing small objects. I've got all kinds of questions....what kind of lights, strength, how are they mounted or help in place, etc. Maybe this info would be best in its own thread.....? Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Karen!

could you take a photo of the whole set up?
The problem is that my makeshift studio is so tiny (only about 6' x 8') and all black (to eliminate unwanted reflections when photographing glass) that it's next to impossible to make a photo even just for the most utilitarian purposes. My recommendation is to buy Light: Science & Magic and delve into the chapters that obviously attend to tabletop photography. If you're interested in food photography, I can recommend Food Photography -- from Snapshots to Great Shots though I've never perused other books to determine if there are better ones. There is also lots of stuff on the Internet, though I hate wading through it because of the immense required time to sort out the great from the not so great.

Maybe this info would be best in its own thread.....?
Feel free to fire away with your questions at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/discuss-tabletop-photography-techniques.323662/

If that's not the ideal forum for it, feel free to move it.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thanks, Karen!

The problem is that my makeshift studio is so tiny (only about 6' x 8') and all black (to eliminate unwanted reflections when photographing glass) that it's next to impossible to make a photo even just for the most utilitarian purposes. My recommendation is to buy Light: Science & Magic and delve into the chapters that obviously attend to tabletop photography. If you're interested in food photography, I can recommend Food Photography -- from Snapshots to Great Shots though I've never perused other books to determine if there are better ones. There is also lots of stuff on the Internet, though I hate wading through it because of the immense required time to sort out the great from the not so great.

Feel free to fire away with your questions at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/discuss-tabletop-photography-techniques.323662/

If that's not the ideal forum for it, feel free to move it.
Thanks, Mike.

I admire your productivity, and skill, to execute so many well thought out, laid out photographs it what seems to be no time.
Tabletop, controlled lighting brought to perfection - at least to someone like me who has no such skills at all.

It is a photo topic that I lusted after so many times, to get myself started. Time will tell if I ever do so - but rest assured IF, then thanks to your photos on NC, too. Great to have your imagery here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you, Roland!

It is a photo topic that I lusted after so many times, to get myself started. Time will tell if I ever do so
I began doing tabletop photography more than 12 years ago. During the first few years I really struggled with just about everything about it -- design (that more than anything!), lighting and post-processing. Then eight years ago I discovered the book, Light: Science & Magic. I now call it my Bible of light. That was when I began to really understand the details of light in terms of what we can and can't control. Through experience, design has finally become less of a struggle, though it will always be challenging, which is part of the fun for me. Experience and improved software technologies have made the post-processing easier. I'm now at the point that when I'm home, if I go more than a week without making a photo in my makeshift studio, I begin to feel almost like I'm in withdrawal because I need my tabletop photography addiction satisfied.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom