Lenovo P1 vs W540 Thinkpads

I received my Lenovo P1 Thinkpad Thursday. I'm still doing transfers from my 5 year old Lenovo W540 Thinkpad. I did get Nikon Capture NX2 installed, which is the program I use for post-processing RAW image files.

Lenovo P1 Thinkpad:

Intel® Xeon® E-2176M vPro 6 Core Processor (2.70GHz, up to 4.40GHz with Turbo Boost, 12MB Cache)

15.6” 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS multi-touch, anti-reflective / anti-smudge, 400 nits
64 GB (32GB + 32GB) DDR4 2666M
Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB
Quantity 2 x 2TB Solid State Drive PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0 M.2
RAID1

Lenovo W540 Thinkpad:
Intel I7-4930MX CPU
32GB RAM
M.2 50GB CACHE, running ExpressCache
1TB Hybrid HDD

I did a time comparison of post processing 27 RAW image files. The W540 took 56S, the P1 took 7S, pretty impressive!

I have a Lenovo W520 Thinkpad...knock on wood, it's still going strong after 7 years of much use. Over the years, I did replace the hard drive with a solid state drive and expanded the memory to 32GB.

I often think of purchasing a new computer mostly to minimize the risk of having my computer die and having to deal with transitioning to a new computer in a panic. But, maybe it has a lot more life in it...

Glenn

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I received my Lenovo P1 Thinkpad Thursday. I'm still doing transfers from my 5 year old Lenovo W540 Thinkpad. I did get Nikon Capture NX2 installed, which is the program I use for post-processing RAW image files.

Lenovo P1 Thinkpad:

Intel® Xeon® E-2176M vPro 6 Core Processor (2.70GHz, up to 4.40GHz with Turbo Boost, 12MB Cache)

15.6” 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS multi-touch, anti-reflective / anti-smudge, 400 nits
64 GB (32GB + 32GB) DDR4 2666M
Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB
Quantity 2 x 2TB Solid State Drive PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0 M.2
RAID1

That is an amazing spec. Please could you tell us what it cost and where you bought it. What does it weigh?
And a photo of it would be helpful (or a link to a photo of it). Thanks.

I want one, I'm sure it would come in useful.

That is an amazing spec. Please could you tell us what it cost and where you bought it. What does it weigh?
And a photo of it would be helpful (or a link to a photo of it). Thanks.

I want one, I'm sure it would come in useful.

With the sale, and my IBM EPP discount, my P1 was about $3600. It weighs 3.76lbs. I bought it directly from Lenovo, here is a link with the specs, scroll down for photos:

ThinkPad P1 Mobile Workstation | Workstation power, laptop mobility | Lenovo US

I have a Lenovo W520 Thinkpad...knock on wood, it's still going strong after 7 years of much use. Over the years, I did replace the hard drive with a solid state drive and expanded the memory to 32GB.

I often think of purchasing a new computer mostly to minimize the risk of having my computer die and having to deal with transitioning to a new computer in a panic. But, maybe it has a lot more life in it...

Glenn

I also bought a W520 after retiring from IBM 7 years ago! The W520, and W540 have been bullet proof since I purchased them!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks for the info. It looks brilliant.
(I read the one star comments - don't change the graphics settings in the BIOS unless you have the bug fixed version!)

Lenovo has released a new BIOS since I've had mine, but I don't know what it fixed.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Lenovo has released a new BIOS since I've had mine, but I don't know what it fixed.
Several people had changed the BIOS setting for a graphics setting, and that bricks the machine. It showed Lenovo replying to them that the user could not unbrick it and they would have to return it.

Welcome to our Ratings and Reviews section!

An issue was reported to Lenovo where ThinkPad P1 and X1 Extreme systems would freeze at a blank screen after changing the graphic settings in BIOS. As a result Lenovo advises customers not to switch the graphics settings (Discrete-to-Hybrid or Hybrid-to-Discrete) in BIOS. There is currently no method for customers to recover from this state themselves and any experiencing this issue should contact support to receive service in accordance with their warranty entitlement. We sincerely apologize to customers for any inconvenience caused.

The engineering team has identified the root cause and are preparing a solution to be released, BIOS #35 version 1.17, which will be released to the support site Home - Global Support - US on Monday December 24. 2018.​

Several people had changed the BIOS setting for a graphics setting, and that bricks the machine. It showed Lenovo replying to them that the user could not unbrick it and they would have to return it.
Welcome to our Ratings and Reviews section!

An issue was reported to Lenovo where ThinkPad P1 and X1 Extreme systems would freeze at a blank screen after changing the graphic settings in BIOS. As a result Lenovo advises customers not to switch the graphics settings (Discrete-to-Hybrid or Hybrid-to-Discrete) in BIOS. There is currently no method for customers to recover from this state themselves and any experiencing this issue should contact support to receive service in accordance with their warranty entitlement. We sincerely apologize to customers for any inconvenience caused.

The engineering team has identified the root cause and are preparing a solution to be released, BIOS #35 version 1.17, which will be released to the support site Home - Global Support - US on Monday December 24. 2018.​

Thank you for posting this information, I had not heard this. Lenovo released a new P1 BIOS since I've had mine, my present BIOS level is 1.19.

Lenovo P1 has been running great for 11 months now!

Here are some CPU measurements:

Xeon_CPU_loaded-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom