lens advice

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by chicopro, Sep 27, 2008.

1. chicopro

chicopro

Sep 9, 2008
    canada
    hi everyone.pretty new to the cafe and to photography also.i have a D80 with two lenses that came with it,a 70-300/f/4.5-5.6G and the 18-55 3.5-5.6.since i need to play with what i have for awhile i am in no hurry to pick up any more.that being said i would like to know what type of lens i should be in the market for considering my interests, which are pro tennis and landscape type stuff while travelling.i also really enjoy black and white photography.thanks for any help,dk.

2. Wileec

Wileec Guest

For the pro tennis, depending on how close you tend to sit, I would think a 70- or 80-200 f/2.8 would be the way to go.

For landscape, you may want an even wider angle lens. I currently use my 17-50mm f/2.8 for my landscape shots, but I've never checked out the 12mm+ lenses to see what that field of view (FOV) looks like.

Just about anything you get, that is going to be better to way better than what you currently have is also going to start costing some bucks, depending on the brand(s) you choose and whether you buy new or used. In the case of the Nikon 70-200mm VR or the 80-200mm non VR, which I have, even used they are not that much lower in cost, as they are very good lenses. My 80-200mm f/2.8 is my favorite lens to shoot with.

3. chicopro

chicopro

Sep 9, 2008
    canada
    thanks for the advice Wileec.i have noticed that a nice lens tends to be pricey,yes.like most things the good ones hold their value.my proximity to the tennis court tends to vary quite a lot but i am guessing that a 70 or 80 to 200 would fit my needs at least in terms of distance.

4. Check out the fairly recently updated and very long thread on the Sigma 10-20mm for landscapes.

5. chicopro

chicopro

Sep 9, 2008
    canada
    thanks for the info tamhas.a nice wide angle lens would be great to have when travelling.

6. Wileec

Wileec Guest

A number of people use the 70- or 80-200mm f/2.8 for sports shots.

If your current lens is wide enough, the addition of a good tripod, if you don't have one, might give you the support to handle higher f-stops/slower shutter speeds, so you get greater depth of field.

7. chicopro

chicopro

Sep 9, 2008
    canada
    i do have a tripod and plan to play around with it to see if it will suffice.lots of reading and experimenting to do.thanks.