Lens Align/AF Fine Tune opinion....

Using Lens Align, my AF Fine Tune adjustment with my D600 and 300 F/2.8 is a whopping (-17). I have not checked this for accuracy in every day field shooting as of yet. But I feel confident that it should be pretty much on the money.

There was a time when I would return/exchange a camera body that gave me such a high AF Fine Tune number. But this time around, I don't know if I even want to bother.

Just looking for some opinions.

Appreciated,

Mike

Like you I'd feel better if the needed value was zero but in the end I don't think it matters. I suspect if you sent camera and lens to Nikon it would come back close to 0 but they probably just put -17 in an internal register we cannot access. Do the rest of your lenses require a large negative value?

Like you I'd feel better if the needed value was zero but in the end I don't think it matters. I suspect if you sent camera and lens to Nikon it would come back close to 0 but they probably just put -17 in an internal register we cannot access. Do the rest of your lenses require a large negative value?

Thanks for the reply Geof.

This is the second D600 I have calibrated my lenses with. The other one I returned needed a(-9) for my 300mm, almost 1/2 the value. It also needed a (-6) for my 200 F/2. On my new D600 my 200f/2 needed a (-11), almost 1/2 the value. So it seems to be working just about the same ratio with both of these lenses.

You said "in the end I don't think it matters".

Exactly how I feel. At this point in my experiences, I don't think I would send a body to Nikon unless it was unable to calibrate a lens within the + or - 20 range.....and of cause knowing that my lenses were OK. I didn't think like this before, but what is the difference if it needs a -5 or -17? The camera needs an adjustment regardless. And I have experienced the past that all Nikon does anyway, as long as you are within specs.(1-20), is AF Fine Tune for you!

BTW, just went outside to shoot a couple with my newly tuned 300...smack sharp wide open:smile:

Mike

I'd test if the adjusted lens is still accurate at different focus distances with the fine tuning. If it is, I wouldn't bother sending it away.

I had a 7000 repaired under warrantee at API because it required -18. Had it back in my hands in 5 days and no fine tune required. It is dead on perfect.

Lens align? I use a ruler at 45 deg for portrait and micro calibration. For landscape. I use 100 feet.

most of my lenses are double digit adjusted. don't worry about it as long as it isn't beyond -+20 :)

That's my present feeling also. In the past, I might have thought otherwise. But between DX and FX, higher magnification, etc. the numbers are all over the place.

Might try Dot Tune method, easier that Lens Align, IMO !
Yeah, I saw a thread on that method.

I had a 7000 repaired under warrantee at API because it required -18. Had it back in my hands in 5 days and no fine tune required. It is dead on perfect.

Lens align? I use a ruler at 45 deg for portrait and micro calibration. For landscape. I use 100 feet.

Hey, a ruler used as you do can tell much.

I really like Lens Align. Once you get the hang of it, it is very easy to use. And if you can seduce your wife to assist in parallel lining, it is a piece of cake. I have never gotten such sharp images since using Lens Align properly, not even with my old D3S.

Here is one with my newly adjusted 300 at (-17)
F/3.2
_DSC0163-1020a.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After making proper adjustments in the AF Fine Tune section of the camera menu, this is what a correctly calibrated lens/camera body should look like.

Lens Align has two rulers available. This is the long ruler. I believe this was my 200 F/2 that I was calibrating.

_DSC0354.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Amazon reviews are either hot or cold on this Lens Align. I think I need it but I am hesitant because of bad reviews. Though price seems to be the biggest complaint at Amazon.

I have mixed feelings about all this.
I am probably wrong but we never know.

Last year I purchased a LensAlign kit and tested all my lenses.
And to my surprise no lens required adjustments. :confused:

I guess I'll test again when I get a new prescription in my glasses :smile:

It may be worth picking up FocusTune as well Michel, just so you can rely on it as opposed to PS filters and eyeballing :smile:

From Ken Rockwell

15 May 2013, Wednesday

AF Fine Tune?

You don't need it; don't buy a new camera because you think it will get you sharper pictures.

I never use the AF Fine Tune feature on any of my cameras — it's not needed.

The only time I need AF Fine Tune is with the occasional off-brand lens, or the very odd sample of older AF lens from the 1980s.

So long as you stick to real (Nikon, Canon or LEICA) lenses and are buying reasonably new products from the past 10 years or so, DSLRs have all the proper corrections already in their firmware.

AF Fine tune is only needed for one in twenty BAD old lenses. Modern lenses almost never need any tuning, it's only for old ones from the 1980s you already have in your collection if you're an old-timer like me — or maybe if you have some junk from Sigma or Tamron or whoever you're still trying to use with your new camera.

If you're buying new lenses for your new cameras, AF Fine Tune will only make your photos worse by screwing with it. Sure, if you have a bad lens AF fine tune might help, but why use bad lenses, and why buy a new camera if it's a lens that needs to be replaced?

So, as always, stick to name-brand lenses, and don't go telling anyone I told you you needed a new camera to get sharper pictures.

Latest threads

Top Bottom