Lens choice for dark dirty music venue

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by swmlon, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Though i would most likely use my 85mm f1.4 for most of the performance i would also like something a little shorter to get more of the stage and the band as a whole. I would instinctively shoot for my 24-70 f2.8 and boost the ISO of my D3, i would prefer to use a faster lens and a slightly lower ISO if possible.

and so i am trying to decide between the Nikkor 50mm f1.4 of the 35mm f2.

any input from those who have used them in dark indoor venues would be much appreciated.

on a side note, which would you use as a discreet lens for walking around. (things are hard enough with the D3 to be discreet, double so when the 24-70 with hood is on as well)

thanks to all in advance.

shing

2. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Discreet lens: D60 and a 45mm pancake lens. :biggrin:

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    For a dark and dirty venue, best to use the Dirty Thirty :biggrin:

4. The Dirty Thirty is a DX lens, so won't work too well on the D3, unless shooting in 5MP DX mode.

I would personally go for the 50mm f/1.8 - I use either that or the 85mm f/1.4 when I am shooting concerts with my D3. Neither lens is particularly bulky - you could take both the 50mm and the 35mm :biggrin:

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Oops! I forgot about DX and FX. Silly me, I'm just too wrapped up in the Dirty Thirty :tongue: My bad!

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

50 1.4 all the way....;-)))

7. My voit for a discreet lens is Nikon's 45mm pancake lens (discontinued) f2.8. For the dark and dirty venue I recommend the 50mm f1.4 AF-D, however, if youare willing to use a manual lens, then go for the 50mm f1.2 AIS.

8. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    50mm f1.4 seems to be the way to go

9. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    50mm 1.4 on a D3 for concert shooting in a dark venue will rock.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.