Lens choice for dark dirty music venue

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by swmlon, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Though i would most likely use my 85mm f1.4 for most of the performance i would also like something a little shorter to get more of the stage and the band as a whole. I would instinctively shoot for my 24-70 f2.8 and boost the ISO of my D3, i would prefer to use a faster lens and a slightly lower ISO if possible.

and so i am trying to decide between the Nikkor 50mm f1.4 of the 35mm f2.

any input from those who have used them in dark indoor venues would be much appreciated.

on a side note, which would you use as a discreet lens for walking around. (things are hard enough with the D3 to be discreet, double so when the 24-70 with hood is on as well)

thanks to all in advance.

shing

2. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Discreet lens: D60 and a 45mm pancake lens. :biggrin:

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    For a dark and dirty venue, best to use the Dirty Thirty :biggrin:

4. The Dirty Thirty is a DX lens, so won't work too well on the D3, unless shooting in 5MP DX mode.

I would personally go for the 50mm f/1.8 - I use either that or the 85mm f/1.4 when I am shooting concerts with my D3. Neither lens is particularly bulky - you could take both the 50mm and the 35mm :biggrin:

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Oops! I forgot about DX and FX. Silly me, I'm just too wrapped up in the Dirty Thirty :tongue: My bad!

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

50 1.4 all the way....;-)))

7. My voit for a discreet lens is Nikon's 45mm pancake lens (discontinued) f2.8. For the dark and dirty venue I recommend the 50mm f1.4 AF-D, however, if youare willing to use a manual lens, then go for the 50mm f1.2 AIS.

8. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    50mm f1.4 seems to be the way to go

9. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    50mm 1.4 on a D3 for concert shooting in a dark venue will rock.