Lens choice for dark dirty music venue

Though i would most likely use my 85mm f1.4 for most of the performance i would also like something a little shorter to get more of the stage and the band as a whole. I would instinctively shoot for my 24-70 f2.8 and boost the ISO of my D3, i would prefer to use a faster lens and a slightly lower ISO if possible.

and so i am trying to decide between the Nikkor 50mm f1.4 of the 35mm f2.

any input from those who have used them in dark indoor venues would be much appreciated.

on a side note, which would you use as a discreet lens for walking around. (things are hard enough with the D3 to be discreet, double so when the 24-70 with hood is on as well)

thanks to all in advance.

shing

The Dirty Thirty is a DX lens, so won't work too well on the D3, unless shooting in 5MP DX mode.

I would personally go for the 50mm f/1.8 - I use either that or the 85mm f/1.4 when I am shooting concerts with my D3. Neither lens is particularly bulky - you could take both the 50mm and the 35mm :biggrin:

The Dirty Thirty is a DX lens, so won't work too well on the D3, unless shooting in 5MP DX mode.

I would personally go for the 50mm f/1.8 - I use either that or the 85mm f/1.4 when I am shooting concerts with my D3. Neither lens is particularly bulky - you could take both the 50mm and the 35mm :biggrin:
Oops! I forgot about DX and FX. Silly me, I'm just too wrapped up in the Dirty Thirty :tongue: My bad!

My voit for a discreet lens is Nikon's 45mm pancake lens (discontinued) f2.8. For the dark and dirty venue I recommend the 50mm f1.4 AF-D, however, if youare willing to use a manual lens, then go for the 50mm f1.2 AIS.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom