Lens Choice Question: Architecture

I'm going to be spending a day in Kingston ON next Sunday while my wife is attending a meeting and I'll have most of the day to head up to Barriefield to photograph not only my grandfathers restored home, but some of the other homes and buildings in Kingston.

I thought I would try out some PC lens or lenses on the trip, I'm just curious what some more experienced members might recommend. I have no experience with this type of lens, so there will be a learning curve. Most of the shots will be older houses, furthest I can get from them would be across a two lane road.

Available for rent are 24/3.5, 28.3.5 and 85/2.8

Thanks for your input.

The 85 might be a little too long, depending on the depth of the yards and the height of the houses. Will you be able to go inside the yards to get closer? If so I'd definitly recommend the 24 or 28.

Gene,

For most I'll be out on the street. Most of the stone houses on Main Street in Barriefield are early 19th century stone, with virtually no front yard. Most are 1 to 1.5 stories. Downtown there are some 2-3 storey stone buildings, plus the gothic city hall and cathedral.

what camera are you using? if you have a d3/700 24mm will be allright, but if you have any dx, I think 36 mm is not wide enough...

Don't know what it rents for, but the Nikon 14-24 would enable you to make "rising front" type shots much wider than the 24/3.5, which IMO is not wide at all in DX format. You just have to be able/willing to crop the 'useless' bottom out of the frame.

Latest threads

Top Bottom