Lens Choice

So I'll be hanging out with LOTS of stars this week in South Dakota. I have a nice Nikon 17-55 2.8, Nikon 16-80, and a Sigma 17-50 2.8 os. Any ideas as to which one would be better for stars, Milky Way, etc.? I'll be shooting D500 bodies.

Last edited:
Either. They are very similar. Provided you have a good tripod, no clouds no light pollution you should be able to take lots of great pictures.
First time doing astro photography or first time with these lenses?

Either. They are very similar. Provided you have a good tripod, no clouds no light pollution you should be able to take lots of great pictures.
First time doing astro photography or first time with these lenses?
Two good tripods, a big Induro and a series 2 Feisol, both carbon fiber, and I'm taking a ballhead, Markins M20. I've shot stars and night rocket launches with the Nikon 16-80. I could take the Wimberly but when I shoot night stuff I prefer a ballhead. The weather calls for clear nights and there's little to no light pollution in the Badlands.

Two good tripods, a big Induro and a series 2 Feisol, both carbon fiber, and I'm taking a ballhead, Markins M20. I've shot stars and night rocket launches with the Nikon 16-80. I could take the Wimberly but when I shoot night stuff I prefer a ballhead. The weather calls for clear nights and there's little to no light pollution in the Badlands.
Brilliant, I look forward to your pictures.
We usually would be heading for Borrego Springs to do some astrophotography between Sept-Nov, but unfortunately this time around, no travel allowed to the USA for us Brits in the UK.
:-(

Latest threads

Top Bottom