Lens Choices for Golf

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by seabee1999, Jun 23, 2007.

1. I have a chance to go to a PGA event out here in Reno, NV. I am planning to go shoot some photos and maybe even write an article for the base paper here at NAS Fallon. So my question is which lenses do I use? I have a lot to choose from but I am still not sure which combination to use.

Here is what I am thinking of so far (rather heavy):
    400 f/3.5 mf
    300 f/2.8 mf
    80-200 f/2.8 AFS
    35-70 f/2.8 af
    24 f/2.8 af

I also have a 75-150 Series E, 200 f/4 mf, or 28-105 AFD to use to perhaps replace and lighten the load. Camera wise, I think I'll use my 2 D1x's and maybe an F4 for B&W shots. ANy help or advice is greatly appreciated.

God Bless,
    David

2. I've heard that the Pro's get super mad if they hear mirror slaps, or anything while they are swinging, so the farther away you are the better.

Other than that though I've never shot golf! So good luck!

3. My experience is that unless you have a press pass, camera's are not permitted at PGA events on tournament days. The pro-am day is OK, but during the actual tournament, it's grounds for eviction. Check it out with the tournament before you go.

Alex, Twig or Geno might have some better lens advice for actually shooting a tournament if you do get to take your camera.

4. Thanks for the help so far guys. As for a press pass, I am hoping to get one with the help of the base's PAO. Before I go, I will check out the tournament rules for cameras.

God Bless,
    David

5. Well I know that on tournament days unless you have a pass cameras are forbidden, If you do have a pass as someone the etiquette before you shoot. You best chance for shots would be during the practice rounds. Probaly long glass such as at least a 300 woudl work

6. Thanks Mike for the advice. I think I will stick with the set-up I have listed. Although it will be a lot to carry, I think I can manage. As for a pass, I will hopefully find out next week.

God Bless,
    David

7. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    A friend of mine shot the LPGA and he was only allowed to shoot on the backswing when right on the rope line though he got bumped by a spectator and accidentally press his shutter as Michelle Wie was about to go into her swing. Her caddy immediately came up to him and reamed him a new one then threatened to have his press pass revoked. He did take "action" shots but from very far away using a 400/2.8 or a 600/4.