Lens Cleaning ?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by equetefue, Dec 23, 2005.

1. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    I have a 24-85 f3.5-4.5 AF-S and it has some dust inside the lens. How much do you think Nikon will charge to clean it ?

I bought it used.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Do you have to look at a light source through the lens to see it? If so, it probably won't be much of a problem, especially if it's near the front of the lens. I've found the only thing that seriously degrades lenses are smears and fingerprints. Especially on the rear element.

3. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    it actually has a lot of dust in between the lenses... you don't even have to look at it thru a light source.

4. Cherokee

Cherokee

Nov 27, 2005
    Alabama
    If you do any landscapes with the aperture stoped down all the way ( F16-F22), that is where it may begin to show up.
    Nikon does not touch a piece of equipment for less than $200-300.
    Robert

5. Hi Ed --
    I have written before about my love/hate relationship with this particular lens. I call mine the Dear Old Dust Magnet. I had the lens cleaned twice under warranty during the first 2 years I owned it. After cleaning, it promptly filled up with dust and fibers again within 2 weeks or so. So I've stopped sending it in for cleaning even tho it's still has some of its 5 yr warranty left. Too much trouble!!

Anyway, I really do not think that the dust, even on the rear element, will cause a problem with this lens since you won't likely be doing any macro work with it. At most you might get some flare if the dust was "large", relatively speaking. But I had an almost half-inch, thin red fiber on the rear element of mine and even that did not cause a problem in the photos. (That surprised me really, but as Chris pointed out -- it's smudgy stuff that causes problems, not specks or fibers.)

If you let the lens set in a cold place (not too cold) or a hot place (not too hot) for awhile, the dust sometimes falls off the rear element and settles elsewhere for a while.
    Hope this helps!!