Lens control ring... Have you customized it?

Real Name
Rodney
I worked with another Z owner a couple of days ago. He showed me something amazing. He set his lens focus ring to control exposure compensation. I primarily shoot in aperture priority and use exposure compensation to vary my exposure as needed for conditions. So being able to simply turn that lens control ring to initiate exposure compensation is amazing!

What do you use that control ring for?

Here is what I have mine set for:

I set Custom Setting F2 to have the lens control ring (focus ring) to M/A (Focus). Then with BBF I can manually tweak focus while in AF. You will need to have focus peaking on for this to show.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
I've tried setting the focus ring to control EV, but always end up putting it back to MF. It just makes more sense to me that way. My thinking is that you can change EV with a button on the body, but the only way to tweak focus (apart from changing the distance between camera and subject, a la macro work) is with the ring on the lens.

Real Name
Rodney
I don't find myself using the manual override for focus. I guess I'll leave it this way and see if I miss that manual focus functionality.

Real Name
Rodney
Here is what I have mine set for:

I set Custom Setting F2 to have the lens control ring (focus ring) to M/A (Focus). Then with BBF I can manually tweak focus while in AF. You will need to have focus peaking on for this to show.

Is this because you find the auto focus to be inaccurate?

Is this because you find the auto focus to be inaccurate?

No, it's because the AF is so accurate this method allows me to be much more selective with AF, for certain scenes. For example, shooting into a clump of grass heads I can pick the one that makes for the best composition. Or shooting through a window AF can occasional get hung up on dirt on the glass; this helps override it.

If you only use one system that can be set to work like this, I find/found it much more natural:
Set the lens ring to change aperture. And the aperture dial to easy exposure comp., while the other is shutter speed. That way, all my old manual lenses on the D3 worked the same, and for me it feels more logical to set aperture on the lens and exposure comp on the camers body.

Of course, if you need to set Aperture using the camera dial, this won't work.

Latest threads

Top Bottom