1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lens Database

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pixelharmony, Aug 6, 2008.

1. On the Canon forum I was a part of there was an extensive database collection of lenses. Each lens had the ~ street price next to it and a link to a thread where posted will post comments and examples on that lens.

Maybe we should organize one of those on this forum :) 

2. gd1418

gd1418

Feb 3, 2008
    Gurgaon, India
    I agree. It shall prove a great help for people like me. I've to really search extensively on the net for lenses and then take the printout to my friendly camera guy to order..

3. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    This site doen't have prices, but with all the examples of all the lenses you are bound to find what you're looking for :wink:

4. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    It would provide not only a centralized place for discussion of specific lenses but the sample pictures and discussion would be invaluable. Much easier than double, triple, and quadruple posting about specific lenses in the Lens Lust forum.

5. We already have a worldwide effort in place.

An Aussie A chap from New Zealand named Roland Vink has done us a great service with this compendium of technical information about Nikkor lenses.

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html

A Dutchman named Jan Wakker has gathered and organized links to a larger number of reviews of f-mount lenses, both Nikkor and 3rd party.

http://home.zonnet.nl/famwakker/nikonlinkslenseswelcome01.htm

Street prices are too dynamic for a hobbyist track, but there's a good commercial site that links to most of the legitimate etailers, showing the current prices and availability for camera gear for any platform, and lots of other electronic stuff.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  6. That site is nice!

I also like to look through flickr groups for shots with a certain lens. For example, here is the 50mm 1.8 group. I just wish I could narrow search results to pictures that belong to both that group and the D80 group.

The "database" idea is pretty neat. Perhaps you could start the thread, modeled after the Canon thread?

Kristin

7. BellaB

BellaB

May 31, 2008
    Florida,USA
    That is a neat idea. Looks like a lot of work though.
    But it would be great to have that here in the cafe.
    Especially since it's hard with the search feature here to look for specific lenses.

8. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

What about pbase? They have a huge database of stuff.

www.pbase.com

(go to search and then by camera)

9. Pretty much the moderators need to make the Database post a sticky. From there we need to start "Official" threads for each lens. There people can post their heart out for that specific model / year (since Nikon glass dates back pretty far). Then people can just keep adding to them. I've seen threads for popular glass go into the thousands for post counts. Pretty neat.

10. Why are you all pointing to other sites while the OP is trying to establish something here?

I was going to propose the same idea actually, since us POTN members really like some of the things that have been created over time - staying at one forum is helpful, and having info here is sort of the point, right?

What they have there is one thread titled "lens sample image archive" where within that thread sits threads that have been created showing sample images from a particular lens. Whenever someone wants to post a (hopfully) out of camera sample image from a lens, there you go. You don't have to go searching for sample images for a particular lens since everyone updates the associated thread and knows where to look. Hell, I can't search for sample images for a particular lens here since ex: "16-85" results nothing because there's a dash in there.. :rolleyes:  *takes opportunity to state again that the search function here is rediculous*

I think it would be great for someone or a few people to track down the sample images threads, merge as needed and stick them in a lens sample image archive thread.

It's very useful and very often referred to over at POTN. I say doing that here would only make this a better place to hang out :cool: 

11. This is already a cool place to hang out :)  everyone has been so nice here. Very amicable community over here.

12. Oh, agreed. I just meant better. Nothin wrong with better!! :biggrin:

13. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017

14. Hmm... well 16-85mm does work, but not 16-85. According to this info, a search of 16-85mm is actually returning a search for 16mm.

I really don't get why it's like this. I wonder if Chris Kelleher thinks we all think in VBDB.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  15. Maybe it's just a matter of fine tuning our skills with the current search engine, Fabrian.

I've just hit the jackpot by going to advanced search, using "16-85mm" (with the parentheses) as my criteria, and limiting the search to titles only and the lens lust forum. Give it a try.

16. Ok, thank. I don't claim to know all, it just seemed odd to have to think about how I'm searching. I'll work on learning how to properly use the search here.

Sorry to take this thread off track :frown:

17. How about something like this?

18. Pretty much on the right track, except ideally there would be one thread per lens. I suppose threads can either be merged by an admin or just chose the "best" one that exists and title it something like "archive - 17-55 sample images".

The best way to keep the trend going to help with creating this collection is whenever a new lens comes out or an image archive thread doesn't exist, it should be titled as such and that's the place where folks should show off their images taken with that particular lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.