Lens decision

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RKnecht, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Recently me and the wife went to the zoo and instead of just watching me take pictures, she decided to bring our D70. While I was taking pics with my D2x, I could hear her clicking away with the D70. She had a great time and came home with some pretty nice pictures. She did however, seem to like the reach I was able to get with my 80-200 and 300mm lenses. So I am thinking og getting her a nice zoo lens. hile she can simply use the 80-200 or the 300, they are just to heavy for her. I am trying to decide between the 18-200VRII or the 70-300 VR. Does anyone have both of these lenses? I am leaning towards the 70-300 because of the price (she won't use it all that much). But, I am also seriously considering the 18-200 since I could also use it as a walk around lens on the D2x. Any thoughts?

2. Owenh

Owenh

Nov 24, 2006
    Hueytown, Al.
    Last Sunday I took my daughter to the zoo, I took my camera which is Nikon
    D80 & 18/200 Vr Lens. I got some very good shots. I use the 18/200 as my walk around lense. Get one you won't be disappointed. Owenh

3. Hi Rich,

We added both of those lenses to our "inventory" in May. They both got a real workout on our recent adventure to Norway, Scotland, Faroe Islands and Iceland. The 18-200VR is just super for a walk-around lens. Shooting very sharp 1/4 second exposures in fairly dark cathedrals at 200 ISO, handheld without flash quickly makes a believer out of you. A photo of the whole building exterior at 18mm and then zoom in on a rooftop Gargoyle at 200mm is neat.

The 70-300VR is a great lens also, with fast focus for flying birds or animals, or shooting from a moving vehicle. Nice and compact and lightweight. When we were on the zodiac rides, we had the 70-300VR on the D-70 and the 18-200VR on the D-100. It seemed like we were ready for anything.

The only problem you may face is trying to find an 18-200. B&H has been on backorder for over a year (although they had stock for a few hours Monday) I looked a long time and found one at Midwest Photo Exchange here in Columbus. I was in their store on Friday and they still had one or two in stock. Here is the writeup I did in May on MPX. https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=115099

Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017