Lens filters for 70-200 and 85

Pushing the buy button today on 70-200 VR and 85 1.4. I want to purchase a Polarizer filter and protective or UV filter I leave on all the time.

Hoya 77mm Ultraviolet UV(0) (S-HMC) Super Multi-Coated Glass Haze Filter VS Nikon 77mm Clear NC Glass Filter. Anyone use either of these? Any recommendations?

Nikon 77mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter II (Slim) VS Hoya 77mm Circular Polarizer (HMC) Multi-Coated Glass Filter. Anyone use either of these? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Dave

Hey Dave,

Protective filters are pretty useless, and would degrade the image quality of your wonderful lenses. The best protection, believe it or not, is to keep the lens hoods of the 70-200 and the 85 on at all times. The 85 has a great screw-in bayonet metal hood.

A polarizer or even an ND filter would be a good idea for the 85 1.4, for when you're using it in sunlight and don't want to stop it down.

You should go into the store and try the two of them out before you decide which you want to buy. They have different darknesses and you'll ultimately have to decide if you'll need one.

Good protective filters do not degrade the image one bit and do save normal wear and tear, not to mention accident prevention. I have lenses 30 years old with pristine front elements that have gone through 3 to 4 UV or Skylight filters due to the coating being "cleaned" off. I have done double-blind tests myself and with others and the image using a filter could not be chosen. You WILL get flare and contrast reduction if you shoot with point light sources in the frame so, in that instance only, you can have degradation.

As for brand choice, of those listed I would choose the Nikon -- both on the NC and CPII. The Hoya filters are okay but the coating is TOO hard to clean. I have both Nikon and Hoya filters, CP and UV, and greatly prefer the Nikon.

Phil

I would agree with Phil's recommendations. I have both Hoya and Nikon (as well as B&W) and the two lenses in question. The Hoyas are just tooo hard to clean and smudge way to easily. The Nikons and B&W's work well and are easy to upkeep. Remember you can always remove a filter if you believe it to degrade your images......Just a thought.

What filters do you recommend for shooting directly into the sun? and... what brand offers the best quality?

Thanks

Straight into the sun? Welding goggles, maybe? :biggrin:

I wouldn't shoot straight into the sun unless it was already "filtered" by the atmosphere -- late in the afternoon or early in the morning. At those times I would probably remove any filter I had mounted to prevent flare and/or glare. The sun is a "point source" of light. The only filter I might consider would be a ND if I needed to knock the light down a bit more. Be careful shooting the sun -- you can cook your sensor as well as your eyes.

As for filter quality any of these three are tops in my book -- B+W, Heliopan, and Nikon.

Phil

I'd point out that a 77mm filter costs between $100-200. Phil's got a point though, even if he works in the Lens Section at B&H :)

There are always stories of how the filter cracks but the front element was saved. It's like extended warranty. Is it worth the extra 10% of the cost of the lens itself to buy a protective filter that doesn't do anything but "protect"?

One place that I would absolutely recommend a protective filter is shooting around water, especially salt water. Spray from waves breaking, if contacts your front element, will completely ruin the coating.

As for filters, I only use a 77 CP and a 77 clear filter, which is for wet weather/dusty conditions. While walking around, a lens hood offers more than enough protection.

Edit: UV and Skylight filters are obsolete for use with a digital camera, unless you have an older model with a sensor that is more sensitive to UV light (turns blacks purplish). Newer models aren't as sensitive to UV light. If you must, get the thinnest, clearest filter you possibly can.

Straight into the sun? Welding goggles, maybe? :biggrin:

I wouldn't shoot straight into the sun unless it was already "filtered" by the atmosphere -- late in the afternoon or early in the morning. At those times I would probably remove any filter I had mounted to prevent flare and/or glare. The sun is a "point source" of light. The only filter I might consider would be a ND if I needed to knock the light down a bit more. Be careful shooting the sun -- you can cook your sensor as well as your eyes.

As for filter quality any of these three are tops in my book -- B+W, Heliopan, and Nikon.

Phil

Hahaha! You know what i mean...

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

B+W filters top quality, dont settle for less when you paid top dollar for that kind glass.

How do the B+W filters compare to ProMaster. I have been using the ProMaster 77mm Digital UV Precision Optical Filter and haven't noticed any negative effects.

How do the B+W filters compare to ProMaster. I have been using the ProMaster 77mm Digital UV Precision Optical Filter and haven't noticed any negative effects.

I was just wondering about the Promasters as well. Can anyone comment on them?

I would agree with Phil's recommendations. I have both Hoya and Nikon (as well as B&W) and the two lenses in question. The Hoyas are just tooo hard to clean and smudge way to easily. The Nikons and B&W's work well and are easy to upkeep. Remember you can always remove a filter if you believe it to degrade your images......Just a thought.

i felt the same way about these filters until i bought the nikon lens pen pro kit. peace of cake to clean now!

Latest threads

Top Bottom