Lens Flare

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DMcG, Mar 30, 2005.

1. I know it's a general no-no and I know the why's and how to avoid it, but when I shot this one ... 41425108.
    and got an almost perfectly framed shot - it got me wondering...

Please critique as I'm really in two minds myself about this shot :shock:

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dougie,

I like it. It looks almost like a transparent sphere that has materialized around the sun. Cool effect, even if it wasn't planned. 8)

Frank

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Personally, I like the effect. If not for that ring, the photo would be boring, just another sunset, not cropped tight enough.
    I don't go by the "rules" of photography. Years ago, I used to make prints in a local lab on their Create-a-Print machine. The lab manager, a young guy fresh from photo school, was commenting on my lack of compositional awareness as I was printing up a siloutte of a saguaro cactus against a sunset. The cactus was dead-centered and I endured his rule of thirds lecture. When he was done, I cropped the print so that the cactus stood in a 1/3 point and printed it out. I put the 2 prints side by side and asked him which was the better composition. He had to admit, the one with the subject centered had more impact.
    So, photography is really about how YOU see the shot. I learned long ago, unless someone is paying you to take photos, take them the way YOU want to, the heck with any rules.

4. WHOA!! There sphere in that shot is super cool!! Not to mention the entire sunset shot!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

5. I like it makes it stand out from a normal sunset for sure...

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Two minds? I don't see a down side. This is great! The 'halo' is really special, but without the little wavelets and the cloud half covering and especially the sailboat, it would be just another flare shot. You've put the parts together with a real 'flair for the composition.

7. I like this, and I must admit, I'm against that "no flare" rule. Sometimes it evokes a mood of the moment.

8. Thanks for the comments folks :)

It's interesting to find an occassional shot that breaks the "rules" so badly, it become good !