1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lens focus test chart

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 56 Chevy, Aug 15, 2009.

1. I think one of my lens is back focusing
    What is the name of the chart you can buy to take some shots and then determine if your lens is front or back focusing ?

And -- is there a video tuturial anywhere showing how to do it ?

Also -- when I do test the lens -- should I take my UV filter off first ?

Thanks in advance

2. You don't really need a special chart. Just lay a ruler on a table, mount your camera on a tripod, set the lens on a large aperture, and take a picture down the length of the ruler at an angle from above. Make a careful note of the point you focused on. Then look at your result. It should be fairly obvious if the point you focused on is in focus.

As to the filter, it shouldn't matter much but I would remove it to be sure.

3. Bluespace

Bluespace Guest

4. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Here's one.

However, I find that shooting one of those test charts at an angle seems to give inconsistent results. So I prefer to use a staggered array of three beer bottles (soup cans, cereal boxes, or whatever). Set them up staggered front to back, an inch or so apart. Use a tripod, focus on the center bottle, and see what happens. Oh, and yeah, I'd remove any filters.

Good luck!

Edit: Be advised, that a camera can back focus (or front focus) also. So be sure to try the test with more than one lens.

5. Thanks guys -- I'll give it a try
    Any others ?
    Any video tuturials ?
    Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.