Lens focus test chart

I think one of my lens is back focusing
What is the name of the chart you can buy to take some shots and then determine if your lens is front or back focusing ?

And -- is there a video tuturial anywhere showing how to do it ?

Also -- when I do test the lens -- should I take my UV filter off first ?

Thanks in advance

I think one of my lens is back focusing
What is the name of the chart you can buy to take some shots and then determine if your lens is front or back focusing ?

And -- is there a video tuturial anywhere showing how to do it ?

Also -- when I do test the lens -- should I take my UV filter off first ?

Thanks in advance
You don't really need a special chart. Just lay a ruler on a table, mount your camera on a tripod, set the lens on a large aperture, and take a picture down the length of the ruler at an angle from above. Make a careful note of the point you focused on. Then look at your result. It should be fairly obvious if the point you focused on is in focus.

As to the filter, it shouldn't matter much but I would remove it to be sure.

Here's one.

However, I find that shooting one of those test charts at an angle seems to give inconsistent results. So I prefer to use a staggered array of three beer bottles (soup cans, cereal boxes, or whatever). Set them up staggered front to back, an inch or so apart. Use a tripod, focus on the center bottle, and see what happens. Oh, and yeah, I'd remove any filters.

Good luck!

Edit: Be advised, that a camera can back focus (or front focus) also. So be sure to try the test with more than one lens.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom