Lens for outdoor family portraits?

Hi, I'll be shooting some casual portraits for my friend's family of 6 at a local park in a few weeks with my D700. For single portraits outside my lens of choice is the 85 f/1.4G but I'm wondering if one of my other lenses would be a better choice with a larger subject size.... I may or may not be using an SB-900 or two, anyway which lens would you throw on for this shoot?
85 f/1.4G
50 f/1.4G
24-70 f/2.8G
24-120 f/4G (should be picking up tomorrow, let's pretend it's fairly good :D )

Would love to hear your choice with your reasoning, you guys all post some pretty amazing portraits...
Thanks!
Jon

The 24-120 will be PERFECT for.... us, as we're all dying to see more samples :-p

failing that I'd go with the 24-70 purely for flexibility since it is afterall a casual shoot.

Thanks guys, I'd love to use the 85 but to get everyone tack sharp shouldn't I use at least f/5.6 on FX? At this point I was thinking the 85 wouldn't really render much differently than one of the zooms....

Def. use the 24-70... for a group of 6, no matter how you arrange them, you'll likely not be going over the 70mm mark, and you certainly won't be shooting less than f/4-f/8 depending on how you pose them.

Oops, just noticed you're shooting FX... that might affect the DOF and what aperture you use.

The 85 and 50. Keep it light. That would be my suggestion. Perhaps also bring the 24-120 to try it out.

+1. The 50 1.4 would be wide enough for a group of 6, and the 85 1.4 is tops for solo portraiture. Since you will be shooting outdoors in the park (and I assume that would be in the day) I think you can easily use available light with any of your glasses and not need any of your speedlights. The lighter weight and fast primes should make it very easy to handhold in this condition. Now of course the 24-70 would also be a good option, but then you will be loosing out on the 85, which is one of the very best, if not the best, for portraiture. Just my .02 cents

Chris :)

Real Name
John
Local park. Casual portraits. Bring em all. Use em all. Not a better way to find out exactly what you like to use.

I'd like to see the 24-120 in action but probably would be the last one I pick for the job.

Great feedback as expected, thanks gang. I think I'll start with the 24-70 mounted but if time permits give the 85G a workout...... As for the 24-120, I hope to have some tests up before that shoot anyway so no need for that...
Jon

I think I'll start with the 24-70 mounted but if time permits give the 85G a workout...... As for the 24-120, I hope to have some tests up before that shoot anyway so no need for that...
Jon
+1

For the group shots and even possible sub-group shots the 24-70 will shine. From what I've seen of examples posted so far, the 85G should easily provide the isolation and bokeh pop that you want for outstanding individual shots. Depending on how you arrange the group, I'd start with f/5.6 on the 24-70. My 24-70 is quite noticeably sharper with better contrast at all apertures from 35mm ~ 55mm than it is at the other focal lengths. So if it were me, I'd take a step back to use the 35mm focal length rather than use 24~28mm where possible.

edit: Assuming that you plan to shoot the group and then some possible individual shots as well. Try to get the group shot done first or as soon as everyone is available. That way, if anyone has to abruptly leave, you have it done without any pressure.

Thank you Mike, I really appreciate your input, this is very helpful.
Jon

+1

For the group shots and even possible sub-group shots the 24-70 will shine. From what I've seen of examples posted so far, the 85G should easily provide the isolation and bokeh pop that you want for outstanding individual shots. Depending on how you arrange the group, I'd start with f/5.6 on the 24-70. My 24-70 is quite noticeably sharper with better contrast at all apertures from 35mm ~ 55mm than it is at the other focal lengths. So if it were me, I'd take a step back to use the 35mm focal length rather than use 24~28mm where possible.

edit: Assuming that you plan to shoot the group and then some possible individual shots as well. Try to get the group shot done first or as soon as everyone is available. That way, if anyone has to abruptly leave, you have it done without any pressure.

Latest threads

Top Bottom