Lens help for Yellowstone/Tetons

In general shooting yes....but at Yellowstone, you'll find that you - well, I did anyway - will be shooting at the extremes on either end. You really cannot get wide enough sometimes, and you really desire more reach on the other.

Thanks, I have only the 18-35 f1.8 on the wide end, and that thing is heavy, would like to leave it home.

Real Name
Andy
First of all, I think it's great that your son has interest and that you are accommodating it in this way. Secondly, if you're trying to avoid the expense and weight of longer lenses, remember that Y/GT offer beautiful natural backgrounds. Last time I was there, a 300mm and a crop frame body made for some very nice "environmental" wildlife photos, which are still among my all time favorites.

First of all, I think it's great that your son has interest and that you are accommodating it in this way. Secondly, if you're trying to avoid the expense and weight of longer lenses, remember that Y/GT offer beautiful natural backgrounds. Last time I was there, a 300mm and a crop frame body made for some very nice "environmental" wildlife photos, which are still among my all time favorites.

Yes, I agree, my favorite shots are wildlife in their environment type shots. Coyote on a bison carcass. Of course at 300mm f/5.6 it's not the old 70-300's best side.

Yellowstone coyote on carcass.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Yellowstone coyote.JPG

Haven't checked prices on a used (or rental) D500, but as a DX body, it would pair well with your 70-300. And, depending on your budget (and I well remember having kids as a priority!), the 200-500 was a *terrific* bargain when it was newly introduced. You're gonna have a blast up there.

I did rent the 200-500 and I enjoyed that, although it was a bit heavy, the only problem was the parks (mid June) were barren of carnivores. Didn't see a single bear, coyote, wolf, and only saw a bald eagle from very far away in Teton NP. Must have been a dry winter cause the lakes and rivers were very low. Temps were ok, 70 in the daytime.

My kids enjoyed the marmots, and got to touch spawning trout at Trout Lake.

Best of all my 8 year old is a budding photographer, he was having a blast with the rental D3500 and my AFP DX 70-300. I don't have his pictures yet cause I left them in the camera. Lensrentals is shipping the SD card to me, lol. Lensrentals was fantastic, had a few issues and they were great dealing with them.

Storm Points marmots.JPG
Yellowstone Danny buffalos.JPG

Moose Yellowstone.JPG

The 70-300 AFP DX VR is fantastic, wow. I got it for $135 factory refurb and it's a steal at that price.

Third shot at 300mm is very sharp compared to my old 70-300 VR.

Charlie zip line-5.JPG
Charlie zip line-7.JPG

Zipline charlie-3.JPG

My 8 year old took this with his mom’s phone, lol.

ground squirrel.jpg

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom