Lens Help: New to Nikon not photography

Real Name
Mark
The Nikon 20/2.8 isn't all that bad especially if you're going to stop down a bit, you can probably pick one up for around $300 and then you can spend the other $1500 on something else. :biggrin:

mtf.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mtf.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Like the Nikkor 20/2.8 (either AF or MF) :wink:

LaCA should be fixed automatically in NX2 if you shoot RAW.

The 40 and 90 are much easier lenses to design for FX. Consider also that the 20/3.5 is a very small lens and this doesn't help optimizing the design. I think the CV 20/3.5 is the cheaper & (much) smaller alternative to the Zeiss 21/2.8 (manufactured by Cosina too). IMO, the CV 20/3.5 is addressed to people desiring a good & pocketable lens for occasional ultra-wide pictures, and not needing the ultimate quality.

I agree that the CV20 is a superb lens given the diminutive size, field of view, and image circle it projects. Perfect for those like me who want that field of view and perspective sometimes, but don't need super critically awesome performance or want the bulk.

The LaCA is fixable with one click in Lightroom 4 as well. However CA is not uniform across the frame, and color purity of better corrected lenses like the CV90 is worth having if available, weighing for other important lens traits. I think that's why the new Zeiss 25/2 is so awesome. Great CA control, great transitions and out of focus rendering for a wide, great close-up performance. From what I've seen it only suffers a bit in the corners at a distance. The Zeiss 25/2.8 is supposed to be better to the corners at infinity, but does have that interesting look for close-ups related to the extreme field curvature.

But for Michael's needs, I'm guessing that and of the Nikkor 20mm lenses or the CV20 would suffice, at least for now. Of course one can save a ton of money buying any of these used, and even a used CV20 is a recent vintage and shouldn't require any servicing. Just need to inspect the rear element which is pretty vulnerably sitting in the open.

D

Deleted member 638

Ciao Riccardo I meant the more expensive 25/2 unless he has interest for close up work
Ooopss sorry ... :biggrin:
The 25/2 is a great lens ... a little bit expensive though :tongue:

D

Deleted member 638

The Nikon 20/2.8 isn't all that bad ...
I have used the 20/2.8 with Velvia, never on a DSLR. It was a great lens (see here).
However I remember a full-res FX picture posted in an Italian forum which showed rather disappointing performance at the borders (the picture was taken at f/5.6 or f/8, I don't remember exactly ... anyway the lens was stopped down a couple of stops). That image showed a border performance much, much worse than 21 Distagon so I would suggest Michael to test the lens before buying it.
About teleconverters, AF Nikon TCs are suitable for a limited range of Nikkor lenses and don't work with 85 mm lenses. One can use third party TCs (e.g. Kenko Pro) on 85 mm lenses, however I have no idea about the final results. When I was younger (should I say less old :confused:) I used a Nikon 5T close-up lens on my AF 85/1.8D for tight portraits and the results were fairly good ....

Ciao Mike
I know what you mean
I hope I'll be able to make you change your mind :wink:
Joking aside, I'm in southern Italy right now and while I can't actually upload any pics now, the 25/2 is revealing extremely good at both wide open and middle aperture with and without flash. Namely, but this is only a hint for now, I hope to get a very striking shot sunday when I'll report about the yearly "pork slaughter" so typical over here. Local countrymen on Jan 6th or so have this "habit" and provide their cellars with sausages, meat, ham etc for the whole next year. Yet the whole process is quite crude. Years ago I took a similar set but I've never uploaded to the internet - my fault. This time, I'll do that.

I hope I'll be able to make you change your mind :wink:

In the past it hasn't taken much convincing for me to buy a Zeiss lens. I found myself perusing ZF 25/2 images today. Must stop that! (For now)

I hope to get a very striking shot sunday when I'll report about the yearly "pork slaughter" so typical over here.

Really am looking forward to seeing your photographs Dino, good luck!

We live in a reasonably large city by North American standards and rarely get to see such pageantry. Our regional fall fair, which used to have a large agricultural focus, barely has any livestock to showcase any more. Our urban society has drifted too far away from our connection with food production. I'm guilty of this myself - my mothers family farmed and I loved the farm when we spent summers there as kids. The closest I have done since is to keep a vegetable garden in our back yard.

One day I'd like to travel through rural Europe, camera in one hand, a fork in the other!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom