Lens hood alternative?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by italy74, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Hi all there
    I'm looking for a lens hood for my 50 F1.4, 52mm lens diameter. "Official publications" say it's the HR-2, inner screwed, but I've read somewhere else that there could be a better and more robust alternative, maybe by Bjorn Rorslett but I'm not sure. Any idea or have I to go for the HR-2?
    Thanks in advance.

ps Of course if it was possible to use filters with the hood on would be better, but I'm not sure to be so lucky :D :D :D

2. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I have THIS hood for my 50 1.8 and plan to use it on the 1.4 when i upgade. its all metal and seems to be just about the right length for a 50mm on a DSLR. cheap to boot! :)

3. HN3 works for film and the HN7 works for digital on the 50mm F1.4.

4. The HS-9 or HS-11 will work also. I have both the HR-2 and HS-9. The HR-2 is more convenient but the HS-9 offers more physical protection.

5. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    I have one of these too, and may get more. Nice and small, and just a touch of vignette on a 24 on digital, fine on 28. Fits a 58mm cap if you're so inclined. On the negative side, it does not reverse neatly as modern hoods do, but then neither do the old Nikon hoods I've run across.

6. I use my hat as I mostly shoot with a tripod, or set up in shade, like beside a tree or position my vehicle for shade. I also have on of those Manfrotto flex arms which can super Clamp to a tripod leg and use a solid black flag card.
    A black velvet cloth can be draped over the flag enclosing the lens, except line of sight, in a black velvet cave.
    This is good with multiple filters blue tacked or taped over the lens.
    :wink:

7. Thanks all
    I have to tell you something I forgot: I use my 50mm both on my D200 AND my old F80s SLR (your N80) and this arises a general, wider, question on my mind.
    Every lens used both on film and dslr body has a different angle of view. That is: every time you put a lens on a D-SLR you should have another proper (longer) hood to put on.. or is it an useless disquisition?

p.s.: Just to know, how can you keep firmly mounted the HS-9, which is a snap on hood, on an inner screwed mount? Is that anyway good?

p.p.s: which kind of difference is there between HR-1 and HR-2? Why doing two almost identical hoods for the same lens?

Thanks again :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2007
  8. If you can find a slightly longer hood then, yes, you can use it. Just shoot the sky at the lens' wider aperture and you can immediately tell if it is too long.
    Most people do not bother though, unless the lens in question is prone to flare easily.

It is fine really, just snap it on the filter thread and it stays there securely.

HR-2 is just a bit wider than HR-1, both being the same length.

9. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I found with the Kalt hood I can still just barely get the nikon 52mm cap on inside the hood. from looking at it I figured that about a 58mm cap would fit. does nikon make a 58MM pinch cap?

10. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Dunno. I use a Tamron, and it fits perfectly.