Lens Hood for 35-70 ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nuteshack, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i know some like the HN-23 (which i have) but i prefer the HB-15, it's a bit longer and more suitable for reversing ...here's a pic of it mounted on my lens:biggrin:

581576783_b762d507cf_o.

if the HB-26 is longer than the HB-15 it might even be better:smile:

2. gugs

gugs

Feb 24, 2006
    Belgium
    I'm doing the same when I use the 35-70 on my D200. If I use it on the F5, I need the unefficient official hood... otherwise you get horrible vignetting of course....

490290565_4cd106163d.

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

right Guy ...too bad Nikon hasn't addressed the hood issue for the various full frame lenses to dx format thingy ..we're obviously on our own.

anyway, would be nice if someone with an HB-26 would pipe in ...i think maybe something a tad longer (i have no clue if the 26 is longer than the 15or not) would most likely be ideal..silly Nikon doesn't give u the dimensions on this stuff ...geez!

thanks for sharing
    ;-)

4. Everybody like this lens?

Hello. Was thinking about picking this lens up (35-70/f2.8) while it's still available. Anyone experience problems with dust as others have said? And push/pull zoom seems ok? I'm also concerned about the percieved slow focus (I too have a D50). Just wondering as this seems like an excellent lens for the price and don't want to miss out on a great deal while they're still available new. All I currently have is the 35/f2.0 and would like some zoom. I also have the 85/f1.8 on my to get list so perhaps I would have all the zoom I need when I get the 85? Arrrhhhh decisions decisions!!

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Derrick :

The 35-70mm f/2.8 is likely the most underrated "pro" glass from Nikon that's still available at anything approaching a reasonable price. The focus has been more than adequate for me, and I also have a 28-70mm f/2.8 AFS ! I've not hit one issue with dust. I've shot it on both the D50 and D200, and it's been just a treat.

Find one to play with it, and you'll likely fall in love.

John P.

6. I would love to find one to play with, but I live in a small town without any photo shops (also if I wanted the best price, I wouldn't go to the shop to play with it without feeling obligated to purchase it there). Arrrhhh the lens lust is agony!!!!:Shocked:

7. Agreed. It's the lens I regret selling the most. The only issue I ever had with it was that it occasionally went "hunting" in extremely low light. My Beast does this too - just not quite as much. IMHO, the three best values Nikon's ever produced are the 18-70, 35-70 2.8, and the 50 1.8.

8. abuH

abuH

Dec 25, 2006
    Budapest, Hungary
    Hi,

Guy Moscoso (gmosc) has said several times on dpreview that he uses the HB-26 on the 35-70, though if I remember correctly, has has also said that it did not fit on absolutely easily.

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

yes, remember guy posting that....i need to run him down for some measurements ..but i am quite happy with this 15...;-)

10. I've used the 35-70/f2.8 for quite a while now, and the only issue I have with it is that it sure is bigger than you'd expect for a 35-70!

Push/pull: no issues here. In fact, there are times when push/pull is clearly easier to use than rings. For example, zooming during exposure is definitely easier.

Dust: push/pull zooms = dust is an urban myth.

Slow focus: also a very much overblown problem. If you don't miss the sensor and cause an AF hunt, you'll never know that this is a slow focusing lens. (If you cause a hunt, yes, it's kinda slow.) I've used this lens on a D100 (probably the slowest AF body since the N8008) and I've never missed a shot due to AF speed.

11. the lens hunts in low light, seems like it needs some kind of hood while using lights, but it's like around $300 used which trumps any other negitive point made about this lens.

Sure it's not a 28-70, but it's a great deal for what it does and it does what it does really well!

12. Hunting is a function of light, contrast and the AF sensor. The lens has little do with it, other than how much light it lets in. At f/2.8, this one has little to answer for. If you get hunting at f/2.8, it's not due to the lens.

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i've never found focusing to be an issue with this lens...the only nag i had was the flare and the hood thingy fixes it,,,was never really a huge issue with me, i just used my hand ...;-)

14. Actually, flare isn't a problem - I can't remember ever getting those nasty hexagonal spots. It's really that when you shoot into the sun, you get really drastically lowered contrast.

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

pretty well known fact this glass charactoristically (not even sure if charactoristically isa word but it sounds good ..lol) has a tendency to flare without a proper hood...;-)

16. yup, all of a sudden you have (at least I did) this nice white haze over everything... after that filter off and hood on and no problems!

that was a nice $60 filter too!

:mad: 

17. Maybe we're saying the same things with different words.

Here's a pic from the 35-70 with the sun nowhere near the glass:
    image0001.

Here's a pic from the same lens from a different angle, but the sun is hitting the glass. It shows drastically reduced contrast ("white haze") but very little of what I call flare. Flare is, however, present.

image0002.

Finally, here's a pic from the Sigma 12-24, a lens I regard as having extremely poor flare control. This image shows horrible flare. (And it's dirty, too.)

image0003.

18. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

right ..trash the filter and a good hood and -> magic ...;-))

19. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

right brian ...flare and contrast deteriation..regardless, a good hood cures it...;-))

20. well, it's doing more good now sitting in a bag somewhere than on my lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.