Lens hood messing up my edges?

what is up with this?
i have a 18-55 and when i set it to 55 or 18 the lens hood shows on the edges.

This is the hood i got btw:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=310062171146

Picture of the edges:
9-1.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

lol sorry for the choice of picture i used.

looks like the hood might be too big for the lens. What you see(light falloff in the corners) is called vignetting. Im not sure why it would happen at 55 though, 18 makes sense.

maybe it's not put on right i have no idea
so what hood lens should i get? i don't like the round one from nikon.

It should be installed so that the larger petals are on the top and botton when the camera is in landscape orientation. A filter could also be a cause of the dark edges. Were you using one for this shot?

what dont you like 'bout round lens hoods? it seems like the best lens hood you could get is the proper one for the lens.

A filter could also be a cause of the dark edges. Were you using one for this shot?

This is a stronger possibllity than the hood. If it was the hood the vingetting would be way stronger @ 18mm than 55mm, not the same.

Remove the hood and see if the problem remains. if you do have a filter remove it after testing without the hood and check your results.
Simple proccess of elimination, then you will know the real cause.:wink:

I had problems like this with my 18-135mm but only once in awhile. Though that was only at 18. Not sure why that would occur at 55mm. Did you not get a hood when you got the lens?

I had problems like this with my 18-135mm but only once in awhile. Though that was only at 18. Not sure why that would occur at 55mm. Did you not get a hood when you got the lens?

The 18-135 does some vignetting when used wide open.
at 135mm it is the most obvious, stopping it down helps.

The hood looks like a noname general brand hood, and is pictured with a Canon lens. Most likely this hood is not very good with any lens.

Since it is only cheap plastic take a sharp knife and cut half an inch off the hood from all sides and try again. Repeat until it doesn't vignette.

lol it's not that cheap it's pretty sturdy actually i think i would need a chainsaw :(

B&H lists the HB-45 Bayonet Lens Hood for all versions of the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. It sure looks smaller from what your link shows you have.herin lies your problem! It's about $18 from B&H or from Boca Photo.
  • 532523.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom